Intern, Data Engineer
Join an exciting and inclusive work environment where your work matters, and we put the customer at the center of all we do. The Data Engineer Internship is an 11-week experience that includes formal and experiential learning, volunteerism, and networking.
What’s in it for you?
- Challenging assignment within the Data Science community
- Core Competency development in required corporate skills
- Coaching, mentoring, evaluation, and feedback
- Access as an early candidate to future potential early career opportunities
- Work closely with external and internal data suppliers throughout The Hartford in analyzing data sources
- Understand sources of data within The Hartford, and work with SMEs to describe and understand data lineage and suitability for a use case.
- Understand data classification and adhere to the information protection and privacy restrictions on data.
- Perform preliminary exploratory analysis to evaluate nulls, duplicates, and other issues with data sources (internal or external).
- Work with data scientists to understand the requirements and propose and identify data sources and alternatives.
- Produce code artifacts and documentation for reproducibility, preferably utilizing Github, and hand-off to other data science teams.
- Propose ways to improve and standardize processes to enable new data and capability assessment and to enable pivoting to new projects.
- Maintain a Hadoop environment for Commercial Data Science teams.
- Understand the relationship between the data and the business process and employ communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
What is The Hartford looking for?
- Undergraduate and graduate students expecting to graduate in December 2023 or May 2024 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Business Analytics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics; open to other majors with strong technical/analytical base
- Evidence of previous knowledge in data modeling, data warehousing tools, and databases (e.g., Python, R, SQL, Hadoop, SAS, ORACLE; Big Data, Spark, and Hive experience a plus)
- Possess the technical skills to transform, manipulate and store data; the analytical skills to relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age