Cities Intern - Summer 2023
Buro Happold is seeking a dedicated, graduate-level 2023 Cities Intern to join our inclusive and talented Cities team for the summer. This full-time intern role, and offers an excellent pay rate and the chance to be part of a positive and diverse workplace culture.
Buro Happold Cities brings together the expertise of world class planners, engineers, architects, and economists to examine the built environment from a variety of angles. Our multidisciplinary consulting team is able to address urban issues from a unique perspective, which enables us to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions to capitalize on opportunities and tackle the complex challenges facing cities and communities today. In working with our public and private sector clients, it is essential that proposals and recommendations be framed in a visually compelling way that is accessible and succinct.
The Cities team is at the forefront of urban innovation, offering strategic consulting, master planning, project management, and analytical services to city governments, non-profit organizations, private developers, colleges and universities, and more. Our most recent projects include helping New York State reimagine the future of its canal network, supporting the Los Angeles County Chief Sustainability Office in the creation of a comprehensive regional sustainability plan, working with the Richmond Bridge Park Foundation to make the economic case for a transformative linear park across the James River, and, most recently, working with the non-profit HEET to assess the feasibility of replacing natural gas infrastructure in the Greater Boston area with district-scale renewable heating systems.
This 2023 Cities Intern role offers you the chance to:
- Perform research and organize results in a clear and coherent manner
- Compile, organize, and analyze data from a variety of sources
- Perform geospatial analysis and visualization for a range of geographies
- Generate initial findings and recommendations for strategy development
- Provide visual and written support for client meetings and presentations
- Provide graphic design and editing for reports, memos, and presentations
- Assist with business development functions
- Participate in workshop sessions and project management meetings with internal team and subconsultants
To apply for this Cities Intern role, you will need to be enrolled in a Master’s degree program or equivalent in environmental or civil engineering, urban planning, urban policy, real estate development, or similar. You will also require knowledge of sustainable infrastructure, climate change, mobility planning, or economic development policy. In addition, you should have the following skills and expertise:
- The ability to research and synthesize information on a range of topics for multiple audience types
- Experience using GIS software to analyze and visualize geospatial data (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- The ability to perform quantitative analysis using tabular and structured data (Microsoft Excel, R, Python, SQL)
- Familiarity with PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Cloud products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Experience with 2D and 3D design software, including AutoCAD and Rhino (beneficial)
If you’re looking to impact and create change positively, you will be rewarded with an attractive pay rate for your inclusive and committed approach.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
Please apply online to be considered for this role. We are looking forward to your application!
When submitting your application, please also submit work samples or a portfolio.