Investment Banking (Energy) - Summer Analyst (Houston)
Investment Banking (Energy) – Summer Analyst (Houston)
May to August 2023
Location: Houston, Texas
Deadline to Apply: October 2nd at 11:59 PM EST
Who We Are:
Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
The Intern Analyst Program at Scotiabank is designed to introduce undergraduate students to the stimulating and challenging career of investment banking involving debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, financial advisory work and business development in several industry sectors. Intern Analysts will learn to perform complex financial analysis such as market comparisons, company valuations and pro-forma financial modeling. In addition, intern analysts prepare company and industry specific research to support financial valuations.
Putting forth a strong and consistent effort is critical to the success and development of an Analyst at Scotiabank. Intern analysts must have a strong work ethic, be accommodating and maintain extremely high professional standards. An intern analyst is typically involved in numerous deals and projects at the same time and will work with several senior group members concurrently. Balancing the requirements of multiple deal assignments and/or projects can be very demanding. The challenging nature of the work, combined with long hours at the office requires intense effort and dedication. Intern Analysts must also be willing to work extended business hours, including weekends as required, in order to meet multiple work deadlines.
We are committed to offering you extensive opportunities for training, hands-on experience, and career advancement. Simply put, your future is our investment.
About IB Energy:
Scotiabank is one of the world’s leading providers of financial services to the oil & gas and energy sectors. We offer equity, debt, corporate lending, and commodity hedging and capital markets solutions for oil and gas companies in North America and beyond. Through Scotia Waterous, a global leader in oil and gas M&A, we deliver superior advisory solutions to the industry. And through Howard Weil, our U.S.-based energy investment boutique, we offer equity research, institutional sales and trading, and investment banking services to the energy sector in the United States.
Our sophisticated energy platform fully integrates origination and structuring, trading, financing and research. Producers and consumers of energy benefit from our detailed knowledge of the commodity markets and our full-service product suite, from vanilla hedging to structured financing solutions.
Through our Global Energy Solutions team, we provide energy derivatives to help businesses manage their risk exposure. We have teams of experienced industry professionals and investment bankers involved in all facets of the industry, including E&P companies, oilfield services companies, pipelines, midstream, and specialty chemicals and refining. Scotia Waterous’ reach spans the globe with over 60 investment banking professionals in a network of offices in Calgary, Houston, Denver, London, Latin America, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Evaluating and analyzing the financial needs of corporate clients, including the development of financial models, marketing materials and presentations
- Generally supporting client pitch and deal execution efforts
- Financial and written analysis of companies and industries, including the development of valuation models, pro-forma financial statements and comparable company analysis, etc.
- Sourcing the data required to perform financial analysis
- Drafting prospectuses and marketing presentations for transactions
- Preparing client presentations
- Applying product and capital markets knowledge to help clients achieve their financial objectives.
Skills & Requirements:
- Proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- A clearly defined interest in Investment Banking
- Strong quantitative skills focused on financial analysis, accounting, and financial theory
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to new situations
- A strong sense of personal integrity and teamwork
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn new concepts
- Independent thinker and proven ability to make decisions
- You’ll be part of a diverse, collaborative, innovative, and high-performing team.
- In-depth training to prepare you for the role, as well as ongoing coaching and feedback to help you succeed!
- Exclusive student events such as Lunch & Learns, leadership panels, and more!
- Bank-wide orientation to learn more about Scotiabank and gain exposure to senior leadership across the organization.
How to apply:
You must apply via the Scotiabank career portal and complete all steps outlined below to be considered for this position.
- Click the “Apply” button and complete the application form.
- Submit your resume and transcript as a single PDF when prompted (cover letter is optional).
- Successful applicants will be contacted for next steps.
We thank all candidates for taking the time to apply; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As Canada’s Most International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.