Corporate Banking Summer Analyst - Internship (NYC)
Corporate Banking Summer Analyst – Internship (NYC)
May to August 2023
Location: New York City
Deadline to Apply: October 2nd at 11:59 PM EST
Who We Are:
Scotiabank Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
The Intern Analyst Program at Scotiabank is designed to introduce undergraduate students to the stimulating and challenging career of corporate banking. Putting forth a strong and consistent effort is critical to the success and development of an Analyst at Scotiabank. Intern analysts must have a strong work ethic, be accommodating and maintain extremely high professional standards. An intern analyst is typically involved in numerous deals and projects at the same time and will work with several senior group members concurrently. Balancing the requirements of multiple deal assignments and/or projects can be very demanding. The challenging nature of the work, combined with long hours at the office requires intense effort and dedication. Intern Analysts must also be willing to work extended business hours, including weekends as required, in order to meet multiple work deadlines.
Summer analysts will have the opportunity to be placed in one of the following groups: Healthcare, Consumer Industrial Retail (CIR), Energy, Chemicals, Power, Real Estate & Gaming, Sponsors, Global Loan Syndications, Technology, Financial Institutions, or Media & Telecom.
We are committed to offering you extensive opportunities for training, hands-on experience, and career advancement. Simply put, your future is our investment.
As an intern analyst, you will play an important role in contributing to the overall success of the Corporate Banking team executing and delivering on individual and team goals, plans, and initiatives in support of the overall team’s business strategies and objectives. Responsibilities and activities include:
- Part of a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems, and knowledge.
- Executing a range of corporate finance related tasks including financial analysis, building and analyzing advanced financial models (including DCF and LBO models), industry research, due diligence, etc.
- Assisting in the creation of marketing materials and client presentations.
- Maintaining/designing Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides pertaining to corporate finance, strategic investment, and industry related trends for comparative analysis and presentation.
- Interacting with other departments of the Bank and supporting transaction structuring and execution efforts.
- Assisting in the analysis of lending opportunities, the preparation of credit presentations, and recommendations for internal approval, and liaising directly with Global Risk Management.
- Participates in a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
Skills & Requirements:
- Proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- A clearly defined interest in Corporate Banking
- Strong quantitative skills focused on financial analysis, accounting, and financial theory
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to new situations
- A strong sense of personal integrity and teamwork
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn new concepts
- Independent thinker and proven ability to make decisions
- Written and verbal fluency in Spanish is an asset
- You’ll be part of a diverse, collaborative, innovative, and high-performing team.
- In-depth training to prepare you for the role, as well as ongoing coaching and feedback to help you succeed!
- Exclusive student events such as Lunch & Learns, leadership panels, and more!
- Bank-wide internship orientation to learn more about Scotiabank and gain exposure to senior leadership across the organization.
How to apply:
You must apply via the Scotiabank career portal and complete all steps outlined below to be considered for this position.
- Click the “Apply” button and complete the application form.
- Submit your resume and transcript as a single PDF when prompted (cover letter is optional).
- Successful applicants will be contacted for next steps.
We thank all candidates for taking the time to apply; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As Canada’s Most International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.