Bathymetrists receive, analyze, and deconflict U.S. and foreign bathymetric data for use by the Intelligence Community (IC) and external customers. They populate and maintain data and metadata in the bathymetry database, ensuring the accuracy of metadata pertaining to collection source platforms and depth recording devices. They also provide customers with conflated and corrected mission-specific data.
1. Generate datasets from data holdings for NGA product enrichment
2. Help acquire and disseminate maritime safety information
3. Ingest bathymetric and hydrographic datasets for maritime navigators and amphibious operators
MANDATORY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA:
For this particular job, applicants must meet all competencies reflected under the Mandatory Qualification Criteria to include education (if required). Online applications must demonstrate qualification by providing specific examples and associated results, in response to the announcement's mandatory criteria specified in this vacancy announcement:
1. Experience, at a rudimentary level, collecting, manipulating, extracting, attributing, or processing hydrographic, bathymetric, or LIDAR data independently.
2. Experience, at a rudimentary level, with processing data with Geographic Information System (GIS).
3. Demonstrated ability to communicate ongoing work to peer and leadership through written, visual, spoken reports and briefings.
4. Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking to problem identification, analysis and resolution on challenging issues.
In addition to the mandatory qualifications, experience in the following is desired:
1. Demonstrated experience coordinating with customers and providers of Bathymetric, hydrographic, and/or LIDAR source data to develop clear, realistic product and service requests.
2. Knowledge of, or experience working in hydrographic, bathymetric, and LIDAR data processing software, such as Fledermaus, Qimera, and/or CARIS.
3. Knowledge, at a basic level, of scripting programs such as Python, R, FME, or MATLAB.
CAREER ADVANCEMENT PROGRAM:
All Professional Work Category positions advertised at a Pay Band 2 are part of NGA's Career Advancement Program (CAP). Employees in the Career Advancement Program will be evaluated semi-annually to determine if they meet the established program requirements. If requirements are met, employees will be eligible for a salary increase. Upon meeting all program requirements, the employee is eligible to be promoted non-competitively to a Pay Band 3. This promotion completes Career Advancement Program participation meaning the employee will no longer receive salary increases through the Career Advancement Program, and will now be evaluated in accordance to the Agency's standard evaluation processes.