Education Data Analyst / Data Strategist
NOTE: You must apply on the SDP website in order to be considered as an applicant. Resumes and inquiries received through Handshake will not be considered.
Join a powerful, growing community of over 500 forward-thinking data advocates and leaders across more than 38 states and 240+ education organizations. The Strategic Data Project (SDP) is an initiative of the Center for Education Policy Research at Harvard University. The SDP Fellowship program helps school system leaders use data and evidence in strategic decision-making to improve public education. By placing fellows in school systems and education organizations across the United States, SDP provides a unique entry point for passionate quantitative researchers and data strategists who want to make a difference.
The SDP Fellowship is a unique opportunity, combining full-time employment and two-years of intensive in-person and virtual professional development, training, and mentorship. SDP Fellows are placed in full-time roles at host agencies including school districts, charter management organizations, state education departments, institutions of higher education, postsecondary systems, foundations, and education nonprofits. As a fellow, you and your host agency will develop clear priorities and plans for using data and build organizational willingness to use data for decision-making. Over the course of two years, fellows participate in a series of tailored workshops, both virtual and in person, to develop their measurement, leadership, communication and education policy skills. Training is delivered by Harvard-affiliated researchers and practitioners and fellows are supported by faculty advisors, Fellowship alumni mentors, and their colleagues across the SDP network.
Learn more about past fellows’ work by visiting the SDP blog. In the past, fellows have tackled strategic data projects in one of the following focus areas:
- program evaluation
- data visualization
- early warning indicator systems
- data management governance
- survey design and analysis
- data dashboards
- student pathways and postsecondary success
- teacher quality
NOTE: Fellows are paid an annual salary of $75k-90k plus appropriate benefits by their placement agency. Salary is commensurate with experience and must be negotiated with host agency. The Fellowship lasts two years (Fall 2023 - Summer 2025) with the possibility for longer-term employment.
SDP seeks candidates who possess:
- a strong background in applied quantitative analysis
- an advanced degree (Master’s level or higher) by summer 2023
- at least four years of relevant work experience by summer 2023 (waived for those with a PhD)
- a demonstrated passion for education reform
- a track record of collaboration, humility, and ability to guide change
- an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit
- flexibility, adaptability, and persistence
- ability to communicate complex information to various audiences
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship
Benefits of the SDP Fellowship
- Two-years of full-time employment with annual salary + benefits (with opportunity for continued employment)
- Mission-driven analytic work, tackling high-impact challenges
- Network of talented lifelong colleagues
- Ongoing professional development
- In-person and virtual workshops, learning modules, and conferences - travel + lodging included
- Network-wide slack channel
- Word class mentorship from faculty and alumni
- Global alumni network
- Pathways to leadership
- Applications are due by March 23, 2023 at 9:00am ET
- Applications will be reviewed following the Round III application deadline on March 23, 2023 at 9:00am ET
- Analytic Task: due April 3, 2023
- Virtual Screening Interviews: April 17-21, 2023
- Final Virtual Selection Day Interviews: May 3 + May 4, 2023
- Placement interviews: Spring/Summer 2023
Additional June 2023 application deadline to be announced.
Following each application deadline, we will invite successful candidates to move through the selection process. This process includes a technical analytic assignment, a virtual screening interview, and a virtual interview day. Candidates who are selected from the virtual interview day will interview remotely or on-site at an SDP partner organization. After receiving and accepting an offer from a placement, fellows are welcomed to the fellowship.
How to Apply:
Please follow the link to complete the online application: SDP Online Application
QUESTIONS? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN AN INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR: Upcoming Informational Fellowship Webinars for Candidates
SCHEDULE A VIRTUAL COFFEE CHAT: 1:1 Candidate Convos with SDP Outreach Manager
LEARN MORE: Becoming an SDP Fellow | Strategic Data Project