Actuarial Intern, Summer 2023
Actuarial Intern, Actuarial Leadership Development Program
Full-Time, Summer 2023
Housing is available
At MassMutual, we are looking for and investing in students who will become tomorrow’s future business leaders. The Actuarial Internship Program is an 11-week summer internship that is designed to provide leadership and development opportunities to interns pursuing the Actuarial career path. You will work on key assignments throughout the enterprise that make a difference to the future of a business or corporate unit. Assignments are designed for you to apply your education and gain valuable professional experience. Beyond your day-to-day responsibilities, you will be invited to participate in educational, networking, and social activities with other interns and Actuarial Leadership Development Program Participants. You will experience working in a diverse and established Fortune 100 Company while having fun and building relationships that will last a lifetime. Successful Interns could receive an offer for full-time employment upon graduation.
Our ideal candidate is dedicated to obtaining their FSA designation, is a strong analytical thinker who is able to work independently, as well as collaboratively across diverse teams. You’ll also have demonstrated leadership skills through your time in school, work or through volunteering in your community. You’ll use your skills to be a part of something meaningful, be surrounded by people you respect, and be inspired to reach your professional and personal goals.
- Community Support: Learn from a mentor, manager, day-to-day assignment leader and senior actuaries, who will work closely with you to provide career and exam guidance, personal development and coaching support.
- Meaningful Projects: Apply your knowledge and skills by participating in high profile projects in a respected and highly rated company.
- Excel and VBA Crash Courses: Attend a half day course taught specifically for our Actuarial Interns that will ensure you have the technical skills you need to be successful during the summer.
- Pricing & Valuation Simulations: Participate in pricing and valuation exercises that teach you the foundations of traditional actuarial work.
- Networking Lunches with Senior Actuaries: Attend networking lunches that allow you to interact with and learn from senior actuaries at MassMutual, which in the past has included the Chief Actuary, CFO and Chief Investment Officer.
- Executive Speaker Series: Attend education forums presented by company leaders that will educate you on a variety of possible topics, including industry issues, line of business initiatives, and major projects. Past speakers have included the President & CEO, the CFO, and leaders of various lines of business.
- Community Volunteer Opportunities: Participate with other MassMutual Actuaries to give back to the local community in a service day.
- Internship Housing: Enjoy fully furnished summer housing close to headquarters, which is included in your employment offer.
- Actuarial Community: Develop an understanding of what it is like to be a part of a cohesive actuarial community that revolves around genuine relationships and continuous support across multiple locations.
Our employees are the embodiment of the idea that we all are stronger and better through our support for one another. By valuing people for who they are, how they think, and what they bring to the table, we’ve become a stronger, more innovative company. You’ll learn from the diverse collaborative work environments of our teams and also have the ability to apply what you’ve learned through your classwork and exam studies in a professional corporate environment. Your project work over the summer in your assigned area will give you the opportunity to have a direct impact on the organization as we work towards achieving our strategic goals.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Rising college junior, senior or Master’s student currently pursuing a degree in Mathematics/Statistics, Actuarial Science, Finance, Economics or related major. Participates expected to graduate between December 2023 - June 2025.
- Must have a minimum current cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Commitment to pursue Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries
- Demonstrated leadership skills through school, work or volunteer activities
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring work authorization sponsorship, both now and in the future
The Ideal Qualifications
- Successful passing completion of 1 or more actuarial exams
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access)
- Introductory programming skills in VBA, Python, R, or SQL
- Strong analytical skills
- Prior Actuarial Internship.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects
- Demonstration of MassMutual’s Core Values: Act with Integrity, Focus on the Customer, Value People, Work Collaboratively, and Achieve Results
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with your team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, Veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve helped millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection, and plan for the future.
Today, we continue to develop meaningful relationships with our customers by building their trust, being knowledge problem solvers and always prioritizing their needs. MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life.
MassMutual was recognized as an Ethisphere 2020 World’s Most Ethical Company, a Top Place to Work in 2020 according to The Boston Globe and named among America’s Best Employers for Diversity according to Forbes 2020.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status