Research Professional at UChicago BFI | Rodrigo Adao, Rohan Kekre, Guido Lorenzoni
Location: Chicago, IL – Hyde Park Campus, Saieh Hall
Expected Start Date: July 2023
The Becker Friedman Institute (BFI) is seeking a Research Professional (RP) to work on new and ongoing research projects in and related to macro and international economics. The Research Professional will work under the guidance of Professors Rodrigo Adao, Rohan Kekre, and Guido Lorenzoni. The research professional will be responsible for the construction of new datasets, the implementation of estimation methodologies, data analysis, and the revision and extension of theoretical results.
This position will be most desirable to candidates considering or planning to apply for graduate school during the second year of their RP role. Previous RPs have attended PhD programs at Berkeley, the University of Chicago, UCLA, Princeton and Penn State, among others. The ideal candidate would begin on July 1, 2023 and work for BFI for two years. BFI offers competitive salary and employee benefits.
In addition to the frequent interaction with Professors Adao, Kekre, and Lorenzoni, the RP will benefit from interacting with other peers as part of the large BFI Predoctoral Research in Economics Program (PREP). As a member of the Chicago academic community, the RP will be able to take advantage of a rich set of programming and can attend seminars and workshops. To learn more about what the BFI environment has to offer, please visit: https://bfi.uchicago.edu/info-for/prep/.
- Cleans and analyzes data.
- Writes or finalizes replicable data files or scripts for publication.
- Assists with writing data analysis plans and contributes to preparing study registration documents.
- Maintains technical and administrative support for a research project.
- Analyzes and maintains data. Conducts literature reviews. Assists with preparation of reports, manuscripts and other documents.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in economics, public policy, or a related field.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, or a related field.
- Experience in econometrics.
- Working as a research assistant.
- Analyzing large data sets, applying econometrics methods.
- Machine learning techniques in data analysis.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Knowledge of Stata, Python, Matlab, Julia, or R required
- Knowledge of LaTeX preferred
- Advanced knowledge of research technique and methods in relevant scientific field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Work both independently and as a team member.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Cover Letter (include earliest available start date)
- Writing Sample (optional)
- Transcript (unofficial is ok)
- Three Professional References (required)
About the Department
The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) works with the Chicago Economics community to turn its evidence-based research into real-world impact. BFI takes a unique approach to bridging the divide between academic researchers and decision-makers in the business community and government by translating and packaging the rigorous work of the Chicago Economics community into accessible formats, and proactively sharing those findings with relevant decision-makers and thought leaders around the globe. BFI is a collaborative platform serving the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Law School. For more information visit https://bfi.uchicago.edu.
The University of Chicago provides equal employment opportunities to all employees, applicants, and job seekers. No person shall be discriminated against in employment or harassed because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, parental status, ancestry, source of income, or other classes protected by law. This policy includes the commitment to maintaining a work environment free from unlawful harassment.