Building Access Locksmith
Responsible for installing and servicing a wide range of locks, electric latches, cylinders, deadbolts, cabinet locks, strikes and electric strikes, in all the School of the Art Institute of Chicago facilities. Uses hand tools, carpentry and metal working skills as required to install lock security devices. Responds to lock emergencies of all types.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assembles, installs, maintains and repairs locks bodies, cylinders, handles, strikes
- Adjusts strikes and locks to assures consistent, trouble free operation
- Repairs and upgrades security devices
- Maintains the integrity of master key and removable core bit systems, pinning cylinders under a master key, and removable core and high security systems
- Monitor Facilities 360 work orders
- Makes and issues high security, common, and cabinet keys
- Maintains manual and computer based record keeping systems including but not limited to tracking the issue of keys to individuals, recording keys as assigned to doors, filing keys and key rings
- Maintains inventory of equipment, parts, and hardware in tech shop
- Consults with Technology Integrator as needed in installation and maintenance of door access electronic resources
- Works with engineers, electrician, ARTICard and Information Services staff, and outside contractors relating to the technical aspects of lock installations and technology integration
- Other works as directed to accomplish the above
At least five years experience building access/locksmith. Required a broad base knowledge of locks, cylinders, panic hardware, handle, deadbolts, cabinet locks, electric latches, electric and electric strikes. Strong organizational and communication skills, and understanding of computer based record keeping, and equipment inventory.
We offer a competitive, comprehensive benefits package:
- 5+ weeks of paid time off
- Paid holidays (up to 14 days)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous parental, caregiver, and medical leave benefits
- Competitive retirement plan (up to 9% matching contribution)
- Tuition remission and Tuition Exchange Program
- Great employee discounts
- Complimentary general admission to participating cultural institutions
Want to stay abreast of the latest job openings at the Art Institute and the School of the Art Institute? Sign up for our Employment Opportunities E-announcements.
Application Time Out Warning
The Art Institute of Chicago requires all applicants to complete an online application to be considered for employment. 60 minutes are allotted for applicants to complete the employment application. The application will automatically time out after 60 minutes. If you are unable to submit the completed application at this time, please choose the "Save for Later" option to avoid losing the information you have entered so far.
Becoming vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 is the most important contribution we as individuals can make to ensure our own safety and the safety of our museum and school community. All employees must complete an attestation and provide proof of their vaccination and booster status, or request a medical or religious exemption within the first week of employment.
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by AFSCME Council 31