Mental Health Clinician
Do you have the passion, vision, and experience to ensure high quality learning within a progressive, competency based educational and workforce program for proven-risk youth? UTEC in Lowell, MA is looking for a qualified Mental Health Clinician to join our team.
Background on UTEC, INC:
UTEC’s promise is to ignite and nurture the ambition of our most disengaged youth to trade violence and poverty for social and economic success. We serve young adults, ages 17-25, with serious criminal and gang involvement in the Merrimack Valley area (Lowell, Lawrence, and Haverhill). UTEC’s outcomes-focused model begins with intensive street outreach and in-reach within correctional facilities, specifically targeting proven high-risk youth “where they’re at.” UTEC engages youth in workforce development (running our own social enterprises in mattress recycling, food services, and woodworking), while also integrating educational programs (high school equivalency preparation and other core competencies). We provide intensive transitional coaching and counseling services, all within a two-generational approach (providing on-site child care, parenting and a whole family approach for our young parents and their kids). Finally, our model prioritizes embedding social justice and civic engagement in all programming, including the opportunity for young adults to lead policy campaigns on issue areas that directly impact them (e.g. criminal justice reform).
Overall Summary of Role:
UTEC’s Mental Health Clinicians are responsible for the provision of counseling services to proven-risk young adults in UTEC’s program, specifically those from the Haverhill, Lowell and Lawrence areas. The young men and women we serve have often experienced trauma, and many have diagnosed mental health issues and/or substance use issues. The Clinician will work as an integral part of our Transitional Coaching team (case management and mentoring). The Clinician will be expected to serve our three communities of Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill and to provide on-site services to incarcerated young adults at county jail. The Clinician will support intake and screening processes and will assist with external referrals for more intensive behavioral health or substance abuse services when appropriate.
- Provide mental health assessments to each new young person.
- Provide 1:1 and small group counseling services to the young people of UTEC in a variety of settings including on-site, at satellite sites, and in county jail settings.
- Provide crisis counseling/intervention for UTEC young adults and their families, as needed
- Assist with outside referrals as needed.
- Facilitate groups as needed.
- Portray a positive and empowering demeanor so to ensure professional relationship development and high comfort level for young people to approach Clinician when needed
- Develop positive relationships and exhibit positive behaviors to serve as a role model to young people.
- Follow through to complete all assignments in a timely and thorough manner
- Continued knowledge and awareness of potential external resources for referral
- Attend and participate in team meetings as scheduled
- Participate in trainings provided to staff, as appropriate
- Increase knowledge base of best practices for working with UTEC population
- Consult with staff members about young people
- Manage data collection, client paperwork, and reporting as needed
- Master’s degree required, in social work, mental health counseling, or related field. Candidates are not required to be licensed, but must be eligible to receive licensure in the state of Massachusetts, pending supervisory requirements. Candidates pursuing licensure such as LCSW, LICSW, LMHC, or LMFT, are encouraged to apply.
- At least 3-5 years of working with young adults (17-25) strongly preferred
- Understanding of young adult development
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with both clients and colleagues
- Prior training in strength based and evidence-based therapeutic approaches a plus
Salary/Benefits: Salary range $55,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include retirement 401K plan, health and dental (50-85% subsidized), 3 weeks paid vacation, holiday and paid sick/personal time, opportunity for a paid sabbatical after 3 years, first-time homebuyers funding, free counseling for all staff, and unlimited free coffee courtesy of Café UTEC! Please see www.utecinc.org/jobs for more details.
Location: UTEC Inc. is located at 35 Warren St Lowell, MA, 01852.