Canvasser/ Field manager
Who We Are:
The Fund for the Public Interest is seeking hard-working individuals with good communication skills and a passion for social change to fill citizen outreach and field manager positions across the country. We currently have paid canvasser and field manager positions open in select cities across the country.
As a canvasser you will:
- Educate and engage citizens on pressing equality issues through door-to-door canvassing.
- Build membership and raise money for environmental and social change groups.
- Track funds raised, campaign goals met and new members identified while canvassing.
As a field manager, in addition to canvassing every day, you will:
- Help the directors launch the campaign and build a team of staff.
- Recruit, train and manage a team of staff in the office and in the field.
- Develop the strategy to meet or exceed the campaign’s goals for fundraising and membership identification.
- Meet with the directors each week to evaluate progress and provide input on hiring decisions, goals and priorities.
You will also have the opportunity to organize press conferences and build coalitions with other nonprofit organizations. While on staff, you will gain knowledge of pressing concerns facing our country, learn how to effectively generate public support, and obtain a firm understanding of the political process.
- Passion for social change.
- Excellent communication skills, because you will be interacting with the public!
- Strong work ethic.
- The ability to work/walk outside for 4-6 hours per day.
- Must be able to follow procedures, track information, and have a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Previous experience with staff management or leadership may improve candidacy.
- An out-going and friendly personality.
Whether you’re starting a career in politics or looking for an opportunity to gain communication and leadership experience, working in a canvass office allows you to learn skills you’ll need to be successful well into the future. You should apply if you want to…
- Make a real difference on these issues.
- Get experience with grassroots mobilization, fundraising and working with the media.
- Gain the skills and experiences needed to launch a career in nonprofit, political or grassroots organizing.
- Build long-lasting relationships with a team of people from all across the country who share your interests and concerns on important issues.
Staff generally earn between $15-22 per hour. You are paid a base hourly rate of $15 per hour for meeting the minimum performance standard, plus may earn an additional $1-7 per hour or more for exceeding the minimum performance standard. Staff never earn less than minimum wage for the hours that they work. So, you could earn between $15 and $22 per hour depending on performance. For more information on the pay for the city in which you would be located, please refer to our website at www.jobsthatmatter.org.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and dependents
- Commuter benefit program
- 401(k) with employer match
- Paid time off
- Short-term disability insurance
- Excellent training program
- Opportunities for advancement
*Eligibility for benefits depends on your position, location and other factors.
The Fund for the Public Interest is a national, nonprofit organization that runs campaigns for America’s leading environmental and social change organizations, such as Environment America. We launched the Fund in 1982 to help find ways to engage people on the most pressing problems of our day and turn that support into solutions. By having face-to-face, one-on-one conversations we give thousands, sometimes millions of people the opportunity for their voices to be heard -- through petitions, emails, small donations and meetings. That’s people power, and that’s what it takes to make change.
This winter, we are working with U.S. PIRG and Environment America to tackle climate change, save bees from dangerous pesticides, and stop single-use plastics from polluting our oceans and other waterways. Safety is our top priority. We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
If you are looking to make a difference working to protect the environment and public health, gain real-world work experience, make money, and work with great people, then this is the job for you. The skills and experience you will gain are great resume-builders and will last far beyond the time you spend with us.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
To apply, send your contact information through this link: https://fundforthepublicinterest.org/apply-now.html
Key Words - canvassing, campaign, political, political science, marketing, creative, urgently hiring, temporary, marketing assistant, community organizer, organizer, field organizer, social services, non profit