House Manager, President's Office
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a House Manager to provide the President’s House an on-site presence, helping facilitate and ensure events and activities occur as planned. The President’s House has been an integral establishment on campus since 1894, originally built for the son of RISD’s founders and utilized as a housing amenity for Presidents since 1962. Not only does the House act as a residence, but it also serves as an exhibition for art created by RISD professors and alumni, and hub for events of all sorts.
We seek an experienced events manager who will oversee day-to-day operations of the President’s House, who flourishes in orchestrating, planning and directing on-site functions that showcase RISD. As such, the selected candidate will be in attendance at events in the evening and/or on weekends. Other responsibilities include acting as a point of contact for any event staff when applicable; ensuring the House is appropriately stocked for both regular use and special events; tracking the House budget and monitoring for areas of concern or opportunity; and collaborating with others to organize events held at the House. Most importantly, the Manager will be responsible for ensuring guests feel a sense of welcoming and belonging when attending events at the President’s House.
Concurrent with the below qualifications, the successful candidate will thrive in a campus environment that is committed to the principles of social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and equal access to resources and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in an art and design-related field. Equivalent combination of education and experience accepted
- Minimum three (3) years experience in event or related experience
- Planning/management or hospitality, or related experience.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Apple systems, and other related software; propensity to learn new software systems.
- Passionate about fostering a welcome and inclusive community throughout the President’s House and campus environment
- Able to monitor budgets and logistical arrangements
- Able to handle confidential data with sensitivity and discretion
- Able to work in a high-impact, deadline-oriented environment where attention to detail and initiative are paramount
- Able to work effectively and complete multiple concurrent projects with constant interruptions; flexibility to adapt to evolving work assignments and environments
- Able to interpret complex requests for information, follow up on requests, and prioritize tasks that yield the best results
- Able to respond quickly to issues and instill confidence regarding resolutions
- Ability to anticipate needs and exercise diplomacy required.
- Must possess excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as outstanding organizational skills
- Must possess excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Must possess the understanding and ability to always act in the best interest of the President
- Ability to easily adapt to evolving work assignments and environments and willingness to perform a variety of tasks and duties.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends depending on the scheduling of special events
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.