AmeriCorps Education Team Leader
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position as an AmeriCorps member of Heart of Oregon YouthBuild. Education Leader AmeriCorps members are responsible for assisting program teachers and staff in improving the mathematical, science, social science, and language arts skills of program participants as these participants study to achieve a GED/HSD, assisting participants with job readiness and job placement services, and providing support to participants around college readiness. The Education Team Leader is not a staff role, and thus does not provide supervision to YouthBuild AmeriCorps members, Instead, the Team Leader provides an additional layer of leadership and support. Additionally, they assist by providing information and resources on best practices and/or by helping to develop the education portion of the YouthBuild program.
· Provide individual guidance to students in the areas of language arts, math, science, health, careers, social science subjects, construction classes (NCCER curriculum), and child and youth development classes under teacher supervision
· Provide small group facilitation of classroom activities to support skill acquisition in language arts, math, science, health, careers, social science subjects, construction classes (NCCER curriculum), and child and youth development classes under teacher supervision
· Assist teachers with classroom activities
· Assist with job readiness training for all YouthBuild participants
· Provide supervised guidance to all YouthBuild participants about possible careers and college placement options
· Participate in Heart of Oregon YouthBuild, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities
· Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Make A Difference Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week
· Promote service learning within the classroom
· Support YouthBuild participants by one-on-one tutoring
· Assist in the delivery of other program services as assigned to the extent that it is not in conflict with the primary position responsibilities or any other AmeriCorps provision including the AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities
Must be at least 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the US. Must adhere to the policies related to the Drug free Workplace Act.
· A maximum taxable $23,000 (pre-tax) living allowance dispersed bi-weekly over 46 weeks.
· Basic medical insurance (health and dental for member only), if not already covered.
· Paid Federal holidays, sick time, and vacation days.
· Student loan forbearance (for qualifying federal student loans).
· A $6,495 education award granted upon successful completion of the program.
· Potential professional development and training opportunities including: CPR & 1st Aid, OSHA 10, curriculum development, career planning, volunteer management, & youth development.
· Child Care Allowance if qualify.
· Opportunity to live, travel, and serve in Central Oregon.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organized and ability to manage details efficiently and effectively.
- Computer proficient, including MS Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
- Flexibility, patience, tolerance and willingness to learn new related skills.
- Experience in management and motivation of volunteers a plus.
- A basic understanding of Heart of Oregon YouthBuild and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
Light work: exerting 1-30 lbs of force occasionally. Repetitive motions-frequent use of upper and/or lower extremities in a repetitive motion to use computer and telephone. Ability to communicate in-person and via technology one-to-one and groups of all sizes.
Position requires frequent local travel in HOC vehicles. Occasional overnight travel required. Occasional use of personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement required. Must not have any major traffic violations or citations.