PennEnvironment Clean Air and Climate Campaign Director, Western Pennsylvania
PennEnvironment seeks an experienced and savvy candidate to direct and manage campaigns on two of our key issues in Western Pennsylvania — air pollution and climate change.
Pittsburgh continues to have some of the worst air pollution in the country due to the region’s nearly 150 year legacy of industrial activity, as well as from transportation sources like cars, trucks and diesel vehicles. Today, 60% of Pittsburgh’s industrial air pollution comes from just ten industrial facilities, the Toxic Ten, which emitted more than 1 million pounds of toxic pollutants in 2019. These emissions are linked to cancer, birth defects, reproductive problems, heart disease and other ailments. There’s no reason we should continue to be exposed to toxic pollution that’s making us sick and harming the climate when we have better, cleaner, healthier solutions, like renewable energy and electric vehicles. PennEnvironment works to clean up our air and improve public health by advocating for stronger polluter enforcement, higher penalties for illegal pollution, and health-based pollution standards for the Pittsburgh area.
The Campaign Director will also coordinate our regional work on global warming, the existential crisis of our time. To slow this trend and avert the worst impacts of this crisis, we need solutions that dramatically reduce carbon emissions within the next decade. That’s why PennEnvironment is working to advance policies that transition Pennsylvania to 100% renewable energy, improve energy efficiency and conservation standards, and the region’s transportation sector.
Working with our experienced team of organizers, researchers, and advocates, the Clean Air and Climate Campaign Director will work to win bold policy changes and the hearts and minds of the people of Western Pennsylvania.
If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make a real impact on these and other issues this job could be a great fit for you.
- Advocacy: Present a compelling case for strong action on our region’s most pressing climate and air pollution threats through lobbying, testifying at hearings, and producing powerful and compelling written materials.
- Coalition building: Represent PennEnvironment in existing local and statewide clean air and climate-related coalitions. Continually seek and build new support and relationships with diverse and powerful allies, from anglers to labor unions, business owners, and more.
- Media and visibility: Earn media attention and digital visibility, and build relationships with reporters and editors at the region’s media outlets. Become a recognized expert on the issues, and create opportunities for media coverage that helps influence decision makers and educate the public.
- Program development: Participate in policy development, engage in research, and help create winning strategies and powerful messaging for our programs.
- Grassroots mobilization: Mobilize the public with compelling and timely opportunities for action.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and raise money from donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns.
- Recruitment: Recruit staff, interns, and volunteers to increase our impact.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker with excellent judgment and discretion.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple campaign projects and organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- Three plus years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.