(Hybrid Potential) Senior Research Engineer (10002986)
This position assists the Principal Investigator and System Architect with development and maintenance of discipline-specific software systems and/or engineering tools to support project and research goals. Reporting directly to the Principal Investigator, the Senior Research Engineer regularly collaborates with a team including but not limited to Research Engineers, Research Scientists, and System Architects to accomplish project-specific goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with modeling and analysis of discipline-specific engineering problems
- Assist Principal Investigator and/or System Architect with the development and maintenance of discipline-specific software systems and/or engineering tools to support project and research goals
- Perform engineering and/or software design, implementation, analysis, maintenance, or experimentation as directed by Principal Investigator and lead Engineers
- Adhere to existing technical standards
- Prepare technical documentation for work products of the project
- Maintain familiarity with and expertise in emerging technologies and techniques related to project and research goals
- Provide Principal Investigator and /or System Architect with accurate documentation of all systems within project research area of direct involvement or responsibility
- Provide Principal Investigator and/or System Architect with data to assist in evaluation of project research direction and progress, providing input on solutions as necessary
- Provide Principal Investigator and /or System Architect with weekly documentation of work performed
- Effectively deliver technical progress reports and presentations in written and oral forms to project research staff and faculty
- Communicate regularly, effectively, and professionally with Principal Investigator, System Architect, and research team
- Share research knowledge, product, and processes with Principal Investigator, System Architect, and research team
- Other tasks as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering is necessary
The following skills are necessary:
- Solid, established skills in software system development and software systems engineering
- Ability to design, implement, test, document, and maintain software
The following skills are a plus:
- Experience with machine learning frameworks
- Experience with CAD tools
- Experience with numerical computation and physics simulations
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.
Vanderbilt is a community of talented and diverse staff & faculty!At Vanderbilt University , our work - regardless of title or role - is in service to an important and noble mission in which every member of our community serves in advancing knowledge and transforming lives on a daily basis. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, on a 330+ acre campus and arboretum dating back to 1873, Vanderbilt is proud to have been named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” as well as a top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area by Forbes for several years running. We welcome those who are interested in learning and growing professionally with an employer that strives to create, foster and sustain opportunities as an employer of choice through:
- Working and growing together as a community of communities... we are One Vanderbilt.
- Providing a work environment where every staff and faculty member can be their authentic and best self, while providing the resources and opportunities to learn and grow.
- Encouraging development, collaboration, and partnership both internally and externally while fostering the value that every member of the Vanderbilt community can lead and grow regardless of title or position.
We understand you have a choice when choosing where to work and pursue a career. We understand you are unique and have a story. We want to hear it. We encourage you to apply today so that you might become a part of our story.
Vanderbilt University has made the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University requires all employees to (1) participate in any required on-campus COVID-19 testing protocol as may then be in effect, or (2) show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.