Race Day Support Associate
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Runner Products supports the training, racing and community experience of our runners -through classes, seminars and customized training programs. The team also provides experiences to enhance the runner's engagement with the running community and their experience at NYRR events, whether it is through our membership program, race photography or ticketed events. The Runner Services team is the information source for our runner, serving for a conduit of information and an advocate for NYRR's runner-first philosophy. NYRR’s Charity Programs include Champion’s Circle and over 350 charities who partner with NYRR to raise over $30 million cumulatively through volunteers running the marathon each fall.
About the Position
NYRR is seeking an adaptable, outgoing, motivated, and experienced Race Day Support Associate to provide support with bib assignment/distribution, premium distribution, and general runner inquiries. The individuals in this role will be responsible for treating each runner with the utmost respect and dignity while doing his/her best to help find solutions while promoting the NYRR brand and mission. This role will mostly be weekend work, but there will be opportunities for weekday support surrounding larger NYRR events.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Assign race bibs using NYRR registration system and distribute race premiums at weekly races
- Attend day and evening week/weekend events as necessary to assist with all customer-service-related issues and inquiries
- Work with event staff when needed to ensure all customer inquiries are answered and each runner is satisfied
- Engage with runners and spectators and provide accurate information about the specific event and New York Road Runners
- Collect payments by accepting cash, check, or charge payments from customers and makes change for cash customers
- Transport cash between NYRR offices and event sites and balance cash drawer by counting cash at beginning and end of work shift
- Create a fun experience through positive runner interactions
- Demonstrate passion and commitment to the NYRR brand and core values: vision, excellence, teamwork, passion, innovation, challenge
- Minimum of 1 year Customer Service experience
- Previous experience in fitness industry a plus
- Retail experience handling payment reconciliation a plus
Education & Certifications:
- Any combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for NYRR and the brand's Run For Life mission
- Available for weekend work
- Candidate should be organized team player with a personable manner, excellent customer service and problem-solving skills, and should have the ability to work with a diverse group of staff and participants
- Excellent communication and listening skills a must
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented; ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Multi-lingual skills a plus
Hourly Rate: $22.00