Manufacturing Engineering Tech
Founded in 1849, Ducommun is the oldest company in California. Starting as a hardware supply store during the California Gold Rush and eventually assisted in the birth of the aerospace industry in Southern California by providing aircraft aluminum to early aerospace pioneers like Lindbergh, Douglas and Lockheed.
Today Ducommun is a global provider of innovative manufacturing solutions for customers in the aerospace, defense and industrial markets. We specialize in electronic and structural systems, producing complex products and components for commercial aircraft platforms, mission-critical military and space programs, and sophisticated industrial applications.
Our Facility in Coxsackie, NY manufactures large, complex contoured structural components and assemblies for aerospace and other applications. Our integrated processes include stretch-forming, thermal-forming, chemical processing, precision fabrication, machining, finishing processes, and integration of components into subassemblies.
· Excellent company culture – as recognized by Newsweek’s Top 100 Most Loved Workplaces
· Opportunity for career growth
· Great benefits including paid vacation and sick time, 401K match, Employee Stock Purchase Program, annual bonus plan, and tuition reimbursement
Supports the development, evaluation and improvement of manufacturing methods, workflow, throughput, space utilization and product quality based on knowledge of product design, materials, parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, capabilities, assembly and quality assurance standards.
· Completes daily MRR disposition transactions in BAAN.
· Performs operation time studies and updates BAAN standards.
· Supports creation and maintenance of Standard Work Documents (SWDs).
· Coordinates improvement activities with Value Stream Managers and Manufacturing Engineers to support manufacturing operations.
· Interfaces with colleagues, customers, vendors and others to understand requirements, assess feasibility of new/existing products, and improve production techniques.
· Provides data and feedback to other departments so decisions can be timely and optimized.
· Supports continuous improvement activities and the use of Lean Manufacturing principles based on systems thinking and the application of statistical methods throughout the value streams.
· Completes all Corrective Action Records (CAR’s) assigned to value stream in a timely manner.
· Red lines travelers and create rework planning.
· Makes planning changes in Master Planning and work orders in BAAN.
· Completes all programs in the New Product Deployment (NPD) database in a timely manner, including but not limited to, 2-Axis waterjet, Laser QC, 5-Axis waterjet, and Trumpf brake press programs. Additional programming not captured in the NPD database may be required.
· Leads and/or participates in kaizen events as needed.
· Works with the NPD team to deliver new products on time. Includes: capacity and capability assessment, process selection and development, tool selection and development, SWD development, cell design and implementation, control plan development, and capital project justification and implementation.
· Works with Tool Design team to create, modify, and repair tooling used for production.
· Aids in the training of new and existing employees.
· Direct supervisory responsibilities are not included in the job scope of the Manufacturing Engineering Technician. That said, a successful ME Tech has the ability to self-direct, and works effectively interdependently. The ability to influence others is essential.
· Must be willing and able to work overtime as necessary.
· Acceptable attendance is an essential function of the position.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required by the position.
Required Skills & Qualifications
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical data, blueprints, specifications, etc.
· Ability to respond appropriately to inquiries from colleagues, customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
· Ability to write reports for distribution internally/external and/or publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
· Ability to effectively present information to top management, professional groups, peers, and subordinates.
· Ability to apply advanced mathematical and statistical concepts.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
· Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
· Must be proficient with MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), BAAN, CAD, and G,D &T experience a plus.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms.
· Must occasionally bend or stoop and climb ladders and equipment.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme heat, and hazardous substances.
· Must be able to communicate effectively.
· Annual hearing test is required.
· Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
· High School diploma is required; Associates degree preferred.
· 5-10 years of specific process experience is essential, along with a proven track record of successful process improvement initiatives.
Work Environment and Safety Equipment Required
· Working conditions are: 50% office and 50% manufacturing environment.
· Exposure to noise, heat and hazardous substances.
· Hearing protection is required in designated areas.
· Safety glasses (ANSI Z87 compliant) required in all manufacturing areas.
· Fully enclosed shoes of solid, leather construction with a steel or composite toe cap (ANSI Z41 compliant) must be worn in all manufacturing areas, including the Shipping / Receiving areas.