2252 - Senior Manager, Website Strategy
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), is a private, nonprofit grantmaking foundation dedicated to the growth and strengthening of democratic institutions around the globe. With an annual appropriation from Congress, NED makes more than 2,000 grants to support the projects of nongovernmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 100 countries. Governed by an independent Board of Directors, NED holds a unique role as America’s leading foundation for freedom, empowering the institution to be nimble, innovative, and risk-taking in support of democratic activists, civil society organizations, independent media, and the NED family core institutes (the International Republican Institute, the National Democratic Institute, the Center for International Private Enterprise, and the Solidarity Center). We seek a motivated, energetic, organized, and resourceful Senior Manager, Website Strategy who is a mission-oriented team player, and who would be excited to join a growing and fast-paced Communications and Public Engagement team. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Senior Manager, Website Strategy is responsible for the strategy, execution, and management of NED’s website and affiliated sites. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Public Engagement. The Senior Manager, Website Strategy is an integral part of the fast-paced and growing Communications and Public Engagement team. Working to maintain an excellent public image and overall digital footprint for NED that effectively communicates our mission and NED is not just another non-profit organization in Washington, DC. This is an opportunity to join an ambitious institution and team committed to the cause of our time. The ideal candidate should be energized by the idea of being part of an expanding team to help tell the stories of our brave partners on the frontlines of the fight for freedom and democracy around the world. Helping NED tell our own story as America’s foundation for freedom in new and engaging ways.
- Lead the effort to develop the vision, strategy, and plan of execution for a new website and digital refresh.
- Provide strategic and collaborative guidance, direction, and support for NED affiliated sites and stakeholders in the creation and publication of web content.
- Maintain the highest standards of site accessibility and usability.
- Ensure web development projects—including an upcoming website redesign and content migration—stay on track, leading projects from conception to launch, and through all production phases.
- Develop content strategies to grow our audiences, deepen engagement, and manage day-to-day content updates.
- Make ongoing security upgrades of CMS installations, plugins, modules to ensure security of the sites.
- Collect, analyze, and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic content decisions and to create accountability for results.
- Manage and nurture vendor partner relationships, and effectively communicate complex technology topics with other groups across the organization.
- Monitor and manage search engine optimization (SEO) performance.
- Study and capitalize on trends in digital media and audience engagement.
- Develop and manage publishing guidelines and training materials.
- Provide content management training to all NED employees who maintain affiliated sites or update web content.
- Assist with budget planning and provide input for the team’s budget process.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, marketing, or related field.
- 8 + years of professional experience in website development, production, or digital communications.
- Experience managing website redesigns or major website development projects from start to finish.
- Expertise in Google Analytics.
- Proficient in Drupal, WordPress, Pantheon, HTML, Adobe Creative Cloud, SEO, and digital analytics. Advanced understanding of HTML, content management systems, digital content development, information architecture, search engine optimization, web analytics, and accessibility.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing web content.
- Knowledge of usability and user experience design.
- Experience with non-profit or international affairs organizations is desirable.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Strong Project Management skills are essential.
- Ability to train and support others on desktop and web-based applications.
- Highly organized to manage multiple production timelines, meet deadlines, and achieve goals.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to connect goals and priorities with a variety of both technical and non-technical staff members.
- Self-motivated and self-directed creative thinker.
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Collegial team player.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The NED is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The NED believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as an organization operating globally and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.