Toddler Teacher (nature-based)
We build joyful communities of children and teachers connected to each other and to their outdoor environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. Our programs are located on the grounds of the Arnold Arboretum (Boston), Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Wellesley) and Pine Banks Park (Malden). This is the right opportunity for an experienced toddler teacher who enjoys teaching outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Location: Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Elm Bank State Forest)
- Schedule: starting ASAP and continuing though June 2023
- Hours: Full-time
- Compensation: $20 - $24/hour, salaried position
- Benefits: health, dental, and professional development assistance
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while building strong relationships with families and children. Use a nature-based and child-centered approach.
- Be responsible for the health and safety of each child. Manage risk and address conflict in an outdoor setting
- Gracefully and professionally communicate with parents, caregivers, and the general public
- Create developmentally appropriate nature-based curriculum for toddlers
- Write stories and post photos to ProCare each day as a tool for parent communication, reflection, and new learning
- Supervise interns
- Attend occasional evening/weekend professional development events as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years of experience teaching toddlers
- Experience in environmental education and anti-bias education
- Ability to stimulate the inherent curiosity children have about their surroundings, and expand on it with emergent and place-based curriculum
- Strong classroom management skills and ability to maintain a safe learning environment
- Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
- Engaging and easily able to communicate with children, families, and peers
- Eager to work in a nonprofit start-up culture. Tolerant of uncertainty and change and understand that organizations continue to improve when the people who work there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
- Hiring is rolling. Please apply at your earliest convenience.
- This position requires successful reference and background checks.
- Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.
- Boston Outdoor Preschool Network is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.