Vendor Management Intern
Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $145 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Vendor Engagement and Oversight Team is responsible for execution of vendor activities at both the tactical and strategic level with respect to procurement, vendor due diligence and life-cycle management, including vendor engagement, negotiation, relationship management, service evaluation, escalation management, renewals, and terminations.
SWIB is seeking a Vendor Management intern to work on the Vendor Engagement and Oversight Team. The intern will work 10-15 hours per week during the school year, if the selected candidate is local, and up to 40 hours per week over the summer, with the possibility of further work of 10-15 hours per week during the fall 2021 semester.
· Assist in the oversight, operational, and vendor management responsibilities as well as other internal departments.
· Work with key Vendor Engagement systems such as Markit KY3P and Bonfire to build reports and perform data entry.
· Evaluate workflows, procedures and internal controls to determine if there are ways to implement efficiencies.
· Work to understand the business needs of the agency and negotiate agreements under the guidance of the Vendor Engagement and Oversight Manager.
· Job shadow other teams within SWIB to gain a high level overview of SWIB’s buisness.
· As assigned, assist the Vendor Engagement and Oversight team with data entry and analysis and other special needs/projects, as needed.
The Ideal candidate:
· Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2023.
· Undergraduate student pursuing a degree in business or finance.
· Excellent computer and application skills including MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Ability to work within stated deadlines.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
· Superb work ethic, team orientation, and commitment to excellence.
· Ability and desire to work as part of a team.
· Ability to present ideas clearly and articulately.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests approximately 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.