IT Business Applications Intern
Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $145 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The IT Business Applications team is a client service-oriented, business-centric Technology team, working closely with the investment management and operational teams to anticipate and meet their complex process and software application requirements. In partnership with Data Management, Project Management, and Strategy we are transforming SWIB into a premier investment management organization.
- Provide support of applications for business-as-usual activities, and project-related tasks.
- Work with front and middle office partners to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Track application-related problems, analyze root causes, research solutions, and suggest fixes.
- Communicate application-related updates to business partners and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with team members, and other teams in the organization, with the objective of gaining knowledge, adding value, and solving problems.
- Document application configurations, processes, and workflows as part of the SDLC.
- Participate in efforts to design solutions, helping build technical specifications, based on business requirements.
- Partner with data management, operations, 3rd party contractors, and vendors in project initiatives.
The Ideal candidate:
- Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2023.
- Undergraduate student studying Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or Finance.
- Technical aptitude and ability to learn industry-specific applications (Bloomberg, Charles River, Factset).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Basic understanding of investment management.
- Curiosity to continuously learn, solve complex problems and improve processes.
- Basic knowledge of relational databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, Snowflake.
- Knowledge of development languages such as SQL or Python.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests approximately 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.