Research Analyst Intern, Global Macro
Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $145 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Global Macro team consists of three professionals that actively manage a global macro mandate with an emphasis on rates, currencies, and credits. Its investment process is primarily driven by rigorous fundamental analysis and portfolio risk management to generate consistent alpha. The Team aims to identify and invest in a diversified set of fundamentally uncorrelated opportunities with attractive risk/reward characteristics. Our long-term investment horizon and broad mandates also provide us with an invaluable edge in exploiting short-term market mispricing in many markets. We construct and review our portfolio through the lenses of risk managers, which involves implementing and maintaining a risk-balanced portfolio with no unintended risks.
The Global Macro team is excited to host a Research Analyst Intern for summer of 2023 with the potential of continuing internship during the school year. The selected candidate will be heavily involved in the investing process and will help support the team with their day-to-day responsibilities
- Learn about SWIB global macro investment philosophy, strategy, and process.
- Assist with macroeconomic analysis and strategy research.
- Assist with analyzing rates, credits, currencies, and relevant derivatives.
- Assist with the creation of new reports, and with the enhancement of existing reports.
- Other ad-hoc analysis and research, and administrative and support tasks as assigned.
- Special projects as assigned.
The Ideal candidate:
- Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2023.
- Undergraduate or Graduate student who can perform extensive data analysis and work independently on complex assignments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Strong quantitative and programming skill sets. Experience with R, Python, and VBA is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Driven, intellectually curious, and passionate for investing.
- Ability to work full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests approximately 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.