Systematic Analyst Intern, Multistrategy Portfolio
Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $145 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Multistrategy team was launched in 2015 and manages SWIB’s $2.3 Global Securities Portfolio (GSP). The GSP consolidates SWIB’s best ideas into a center book and researches and runs multiple fundamental and systematic long/short strategies.
- Assist with developing trading signals/tools for the Multistrategy investment platform. This could include developing asset pricing models within or across equities, bonds, currencies, and/or commodities utilizing cash and/or derivatives.
- Document and present research results.
- Assist with developing a risk budgeting and performance appraisal framework for implemented strategies.
- Develop code in R, Matlab, or Python. Build database tables and interfaces as required for streaming research.
- Specialized projects as assigned.
The Ideal candidate:
- Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2023.
- Undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a Finance, Statistics, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related degree with an interest in quantitative/systematic investment.
- Programming experience in Matlab, R, and/or Python.
- Experience analyzing large data sets.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team as well as conduct independent research.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and articulately.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests approximately 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.