Vaccine Drug Engineer
Location: Rockville, MD - mainly onsite
Are you seeking an opportunity where you can lead through influence using your technical expertise and contribute to the development of potential new vaccines? If so, this Scientist role could be an exciting opportunity to explore!
As a Scientist, you will lead the design and execution of scientific studies for vaccine technical programs as they progress from early development into Phase 1, 2, Phase 3, technology transfer and process performance qualification at the intended commercial site. Using your advanced background, YOU will work alongside high performing scientists to drive vaccine product understanding of novel vaccines.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Independently lead planning, design, execution, and interpret results of specific development projects following the Quality by Design framework.
- Contribute to and drive understanding of vaccines manufacturing.
- Support the development of cutting-edge technologies to improve continuous manufacturing processes
- Develop/interpret P&IDs and URSs for drug formulation process
- Interpret results, prepare, and communicate conclusions and recommendations for next steps to relevant members.
- Make sound scientific/technical and business decisions based on a balance of data, analysis, and experience.
- Author technical sections of internal and external reports with minimal supervision.
- Prepare and present scientific data within Technical R&D (TRD)
- Utilize innovative mindset to provide cutting edge solutions for technical challenges that yield tangible value to the organization and patients.
- Utilize scientific knowledge and experience to influence technical decisions.
- Function effectively as a core team member on multiple concurrent projects and lead small projects
- Generate strong relationships in technical development with high quality partners beneficial to the organization, both internally and externally, to strengthen development/implementation of new methods/technologies.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, or related scientific field or MS with a minimum 3 years of relevant industry experience or BS with minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Minimum 1 year of experience in biopharm/vaccine process development
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- In-depth knowledge and hands on experience with proteins and/or liposome/lipid nanoparticle formation, development.
- knowledge of process automation, programmable logic controllers, distributed control systems, and OPC DA/UA communications
- Familiar with AutoCAD
- Familiar with process optimization and feed-back control
- Basic understanding of digital twin and PAT for real-time data collection and in-process model development
- Experienced in analytical characterization techniques (Raman, NIR, UV-Vis, fluorescence, SLS/DLS).
- Understanding of tangential flow filtration process
- Strong problem-solving in complex projects with self-directional abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead, design, conduct, and analyze experiments.
- Experience mentoring/leading junior scientists in experimental design, data analysis, data presentation, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a matrix environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong internal and external relationships that drive product understanding
- Experienced in developing PFDs / P&IDs for chemical processes
- Experienced in preparing user requirements specification (URS) for unit operations
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.