Bioinformatics Research Intern
AllStripes is a Series B healthcare technology company building the go-to operating system for precision drug development. Our platform is two-sided, serving both patients and biopharmaceutical customers. For patients, AllStripes is a trusted brand that empowers them to advance treatments in their own conditions; for biopharmaceutical companies, we are an enterprise platform that offers clinical insights not found anywhere else.
In the past, the biopharmaceutical industry thrived off blockbuster, “one-size-fits-all” medicines that worked for only a subset of patients. As a result, drug companies are doing research on smaller, more targeted patient cohorts, relying on communities to gather deeper insights to conduct more precise research. Rare disease has emerged as the model to enable our shift to true individualized, precision medicine affecting 1 in 10 people globally, in aggregate affecting over 300 million people. Rare disease is the fastest growing segment in biopharma, constituting ~50% of all new drugs approved by the FDA each year and $242 billion in U.S. drug spend in 2024.
We believe that all diseases will eventually be diagnosed, researched, and treated as rare diseases. AllStripes bridges the gap from broad to precise, and tackles the biggest challenges in drug development: 1) identifying and engaging patients directly, and 2) translating aggregated data into actionable insights to accelerate treatments.
We are looking for a part-time Bioinformatics Research Assistant to join our team. You will have the opportunity to work on a diverse set of initiatives led by the AllStripes research team, and will also contribute to cross-functional projects with our product, abstraction, and operations teams. You should love solving problems, working collaboratively, and working in research.
What you’ll do
- Work with the research, product, and abstraction teams to develop and implement study protocols, track research study progress, assist with data quality control processes, and maintain our library of clinical data elements and surveys
- Assist the research team with a variety of projects, including collaborative research programs, insights for the patient community, and new features on our two-sided life sciences data platform
- Support the development of relationships with key stakeholders in the rare disease space
- Program all unstructured data studies and recommend improvements to increase efficiency and quality
- Program all surveys and recommend improvements
Who you are
- A student enrolled in a graduate program in a biomedical science or clinical field (biomedical Ph.D. or MS, MD, DO, genetic counseling, nurse practitioner or doctorate of nursing, PA, PharmD). Recent graduates of these programs or postdoctoral fellows interested in transitioning to health technology/industry will also be considered.
- Past research experience (basic or clinical research)
- Working knowledge of computer programming languages (R and/or SQL highly preferred)
- Experience working collaboratively with others on long-term projects
- Endlessly resourceful and self-motivated; you’re not afraid to dive into a complex problem
- While hours will be flexible week to week, on average, be able to dedicate 10–20 hours per week to AllStripes (remotely). Most work can be completed on your own time. The contract will extend through June 2023, with the possibility of renewal.