Microenterprise Childcare Business Counselor
Requisition ID: req29719
Job Title: Microenterprise Childcare Business Counselor
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Oakland, CA USA
IRC Oakland is piloting a business incubator to help Afghan women in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties launch home-based family childcare businesses. Under the supervision of the Economic Empowerment Manager, the Microenterprise Childcare Business Counselor will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and administration of the pilot.
· Lead outreach and recruitment of program participants
· Screen and assess Alameda and Contra Costa County residents for program eligibility;
· Conduct regular program orientations;
· Conduct thorough eligibility review and enrollment of clients;
· Provide one-on-one technical assistance to eligible and enrolled refugee clients in obtaining the State of California family childcare license and in starting a licensed family childcare business;
· Provide classroom-based family childcare and microenterprise trainings to program participants, utilizing IRC’s existing curricula.
· Provide ongoing post-licensing technical assistance;
· Participate in regular meetings with the Economic Empowerment Manager and external partners including Community Care Licensing Agency and local Resource and Referral Agencies;
· Coordinate with external instructors, training providers, and/or interpreters as required;
· Coordinate stipend disbursements in coordination with the Senior Financial Coach;
· Enter relevant program activities (trainings, technical assistance touchpoints, stipend disbursements) into Efforts-to-Outcomes (ETO) IRC’s case management software;
· Other duties as assigned.
· Fluency in Dari, Farsi, or Pashto required.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required; finalists may be asked to take a skills test
· Undergraduate degree in business, early childhood development, social sciences, or related field; business or entrepreneurship experience in lieu of formal education is acceptable;
· 1+ years experience with microenterprise development or operation of a small business; or other related experience
· 1+ years experience in the non-profit sector strongly preferred;
· Knowledge and experience with an array of business topics, including marketing, management, financing, and entrepreneurship;
· Knowledge and experience working with refugees and/or diverse Limited English proficient populations strongly preferred;
· Familiar with business software and technologies, especially low-cost online marketing strategies;
· Excellent organizational skills;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to make presentations in English and Dari or Pashto
· Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and maintain responsibility for multiple tasks;
· Occasional travel to off-site locations is required; valid Driver’s License, active and sufficient insurance and reliable transportation required
· Must be located in or willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area; Hybrid in-office and remote work schedule;
· Office hours are scheduled as Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm with some evenings and weekends as needed for special programming and collaborative meetings
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.