YMCA Sports & Recreation Management Internship - Spring 2023
A little bit about us ...as a nationally recognized non-profit, and a leader among local non-profits, the Y is much more than a fitness facility. Through our programming, the Y nurtures the potential of children by strengthening character in our youth, engaging families, and building lasting relationships. Youth learn new skills, make new friends, develop essential character traits, and set individual and team goals. Our programs improve self-confidence, promote diversity and build skills. From soccer, basketball, t-ball and floor hockey, to karate and rock climbing the Y has something to keep every child engaged each season.
About the Internship ... A Sports & Recreation Internship at the Y is an opportunity for students to build upon their skills working directly with youth while applying classroom knowledge and personal experience in a professional setting. Working directly with the Sports & Recreation Director, the intern will develop a thorough understanding of several functions within the Sports Department including quality assurance, program and time management, instruction and coaching, customer service, and facilities management.
On a regular day you will ...Participate in recreational youth basketball leagues or seasonal sports, coordinate programming at a large gymnasium and sports center, coach the fundamentals of basketball including social emotional and motor skills to a variety of age groups, incorporate team concepts and principles into practice through group skill competitions, maintain the facilities and ensure quality of programs, develop and distribute marketing materials, engage in soft skill development through communication with program participants, parents, and Y members, gain hands-on direct experience working with children through utilizing Y tailored curriculum. You will experience the culture of the Y, our work environment, discuss career path opportunities, and expand your professional network through introductions to Y Leadership!
This may be the opportunity for you if ...you like all forms of sports and have the ability to teach others basic sports fundamentals and skills, you enjoy coaching or have a desire to learn about coaching, you enjoy in-person work and have experience working with youth, you want to learn about the behind-the-scenes administration and implementation of sports related programming, you may be going to school for Sports Management, Recreation & Leisure, Non-profit or Business Management, or Physical Education. Some day you may want to become an Athletic Director, a Sports League Coordinator, a Physical Education Teacher or a Sports Program Director at the Y!
In Conclusion... the intern will showcase skill development and knowledge gained through the duration of the assignment with a cumulative project such as a case study during which the intern will assess and evaluate a recreational program and present a business plan to improve the quality and structure of a class thereby increasing member participation and department efficiencies.
• A minimum of 14-16 weeks, one semester or based on school curriculum criteria and availability.
• 32 hours per week or contingent upon internship criteria (10-20 hours per week of direct hands-on experience)
• Location - Marblehead, Beverly & Cape Ann YMCA's.
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. Internship listings will be released the semester before the anticipated start.
• A Free YMCA membership for the duration of the internship and discounts on YNS programs and activities.
• This internship is unpaid
• Undergraduate or Graduate student currently enrolled in College or University seeking experience a degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Non-Profit Management, Physical Education or related field of study.
• A general knowledge of all sports and experience specifically playing and/or instructing Basketball.
• All interns must complete and submit an application to be considered for a position with YNS.
• Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
• Interns must work with a hiring managers to submit and complete internship learning agreement submitted to the Director of Operations or Executive Director and HR Office.
• Interns may only participate in one internship paid or unpaid within the YNS organization at a time. Requests for consecutive internships will be reviewed by the intern managers.
The YMCA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, protected genetic information, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran's status.