22134 - Intern, Communications and Public Engagement / SP2023
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), is a private, nonprofit grantmaking foundation dedicated to the growth and strengthening of democratic institutions around the globe. With an annual appropriation from Congress, NED makes more than 2,000 grants to support the projects of nongovernmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 100 countries. Governed by an independent Board of Directors, NED holds a unique role as America’s leading foundation for freedom, empowering the institution to be nimble, innovative, and risk-taking in support of democratic activists, civil society organizations, independent media, and the NED family core institutes (the International Republican Institute, the National Democratic Institute, the Center for International Private Enterprise, and the Solidarity Center). We seek a motivated, energetic, organized, and resourceful Intern who is a mission-oriented team player and would be excited to join a growing and fast-paced Communications and Public Engagement team. This Internship is paid and based in Washington, D.C.
The Communications and Public Engagement team at NED is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as an Intern for Spring 2023. As a member of our storytelling team, this intern will receive excellent opportunities for research, writing, production, and administration in nonprofit communications (press, social media, digital production, publications, and events). The internship also allows interaction with a stream of international experts, speakers, and activists who are working in support of democratic development and human rights around the world.
- Help to prepare stories about the impact of our global grantmaking for publication through research, writing, and editing.
- Contribute to production tasks related to our upcoming website redesign and other content priorities.
- Support the organization and production of public events.
- Help research and maintain a media contact database to support our outreach capabilities.
- Contribute to our social media engagement to help expand our audiences.
- Attend lectures and events related to democracy assistance.
- Provide website, editorial production, and multimedia support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate must be a registered student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate-level program.
- Qualified candidates should have excellent writing and analytical skills, sharp attention to detail, and strong technical skills.
- Website/CMS experience is preferred. Multimedia experience is a plus.
- A Motivated creative thinker with a strong work ethic.
Time Commitment: 30-34 hrs./week (not to exceed 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship.
NED Application Deadline: n/a; All internships are posted until filled.
Anticipated Start Date: o/a Jan 19, 2023
Orientation Dates: o/a Jan 19th – 23rd, 2023
Anticipated End Date: o/a May 19, 2023
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The NED is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The NED believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as an organization operating globally and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.