South Bronx United is seeking energetic individuals with a passion for youth development and sports to join the Up2Us Coaching program. Each South Bronx United Up2Us member will serve as the mentor and head or assistant soccer coach for a youth team, after-school program, or community soccer program in the South Bronx. Up2Us members will have an additional focus area, either helping with coordination and coaching or assisting with coordination and program delivery of the SBU After School Tutoring/College Prep Programs. Up2Us members will gain professional experience and skills in the fields of education, teaching, counseling, and coaching while working in a growing sports-based youth development nonprofit organization.
The full time position requires 35-40 hours a week. A part-time position is available and requires approximately 15-20 hours/week. A living stipend will be offered in accordance with the Up2Us position policies (see details below). Those who have completed the year have been considered for other staff and coaching positions at SBU, but opportunities for employment are not guaranteed.
In addition to site-specific duties at South Bronx United, members are also responsible for the following Up2Us program requirements: Completing timesheets; Attending the Up2Us National Coaching Institute, Attending professional development and training seminars every other month; Reflecting on their work in guided reflection logs; and Participating in a National Day of Service.
The Up2Us program is an intense experience and members are asked to go above and beyond each and every day at their host site (South Bronx United). Being a part of the Up2Us program connects members both with their local communities and a larger national movement of people dedicated to serving youth through sports. Up2Us positions are offered in conjunction with the AmeriCorps or Office of Juvenile Justice mentorship programs.
As a coach-mentor, the Up2Us member will:
- Serve as first point of staff level contact for a group of approximately 20 youth (mentees).
- Help plan, set, and keep students on their program schedule.
- Maintain weekly contact with mentees in person and via phone.
- Maintain regular contact with mentees’ parent/guardian.
- Maintain good communication with SBU office staff, in-person and electronically.
- Enforce attendance and program policies.
- Track attendance data from soccer and academic sessions.
- Assist with the coordination of the SBU recreational program, supporting volunteer soccer coaches, leading recreational practices, and helping with coach trainings.
Depending on the program, coach-mentors may also:
- Monitor student academic performance, and assist in the collection of student report cards, transcripts, and school documents.
- Work with SBU Youth Counselor and Education Director to identify social, emotional, and academic issues or concerns.
- Serve as a head or assistant coach for 1 SBU travel soccer team, planning and leading training sessions, coaching at games, and traveling with students to games and events.
The term of service runs August 22, 2022 - August 21, 2023. Approximately 15-20 hours per week, primarily afternoon and/or evening times, and weekend times. Times may change slightly depending on the program and time of year.
Coaches will receive a living stipend for their service over the course of 12 months as well as a bonus upon successful completion of their one year term of service. All HR related matters are handled by Up2Us. Learn more about the Up2Us program at https://www.up2us.org/coach-across-america.
**Those working part-time time will receive approximately 11,000 and a 2,700 educational award**
Enthusiastic to work with youth, committed to holistic youth development with a strong knowledge of soccer. Previous coaching experience is not a necessity. Coach/Mentors with an Academic Focus should have a strong academic background and feel comfortable with SAT level math and English. Coach must also be a US citizen or permanent resident.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, email email@example.com with a cover letter and resume.