Tax Site Coordinator
Job Title: Tax Site Coordinator Intern
Reports To: Financial Coach and VITA Site Coordinator
Department/Location: Economic Empowerment Department/Elizabeth, NJ;
Schedule/Duration: Part-Time, Intern
The IRC’s Program Quality and Innovation Unit assist offices which help newly arrived refugees and other low-income individuals reach self-sufficiency by finding entry-level employment and progress to living wage jobs, learn basic financial management skills and build assets, start small businesses, and access the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Under the supervision of the Tax Site Sr. Associate and local IRC Financial Coach, the Tax Site Coordinator Intern supports the coordination and day-to-day administration of the IRC’s National Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in Phoenix, AZ; Denver, CO; Elizabeth, NJ; New York, NY; Dallas, TX; or Salt Lake City, UT. IRC’s goal is to assist 4,000 tax payers in preparing their returns in a safe, culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the IRC’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site during tax season (January – April 2023), including but not limited to:
- Creation of scheduling system for client appointments at each site
- Coordinating and providing technical support to volunteer tax preparers
- Supervision of virtual and in-person volunteer tax preparers
- Providing customer service to clients, as needed
- Conducting quality reviews and electronically filing tax returns;
- Schedule customers for tax preparation
- Facilitate the launch of the remote VITA program including but not limited to:
- Recruitment and vetting of tax preparer volunteers
- Solidifying each site’s plan for tax intake and document collection
- Conduct outreach for VITA program
- Complete the IRS Link and Learn tax training at the Advanced level as well as the Site Coordinator Training;
- Assist with data collection and reporting;
- Ensure compliance with IRS and VITA program policies and procedures, as well as IRC policies;
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, or a related field; or mix of equivalent years of related work experience and education preferred;
- Previous experience as a VITA volunteer strongly preferred;
- Previous experience with personal income tax preparation strongly preferred;
· Experience in a non-profit organization preferred;
· Excellent customer service skills, including experience working with a diverse client base;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make presentations as well as the ability to supervise a large, diverse group of volunteers;
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail;
- High level of computer literacy; familiarity with TaxSlayer software highly preferred;
- High level of comfort, functioning and effectiveness in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams;
- Strong commitment to economic empowerment of low-income and underserved populations;
· Excellent written and verbal English;
- Standard, professional office environment;
- Some evening and weekend work hours will be required;
- Home internet and personal computer/laptop
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.