Special Needs Support Summer Camp Counselor
About Camp Nuhop:
Nuhop is a non-profit organization that’s mission is to provide a safe, nurturing, dynamic learning environment where all people are empowered to succeed. Our summer camp program provides a traditional summer camp experience for children and young adults on the Autism Spectrum, with ADHD, learning disabilities, mood disorders, as well as other neurodiversities. We also serve a large amount of youth placed within the foster system as well as those post adoption regardless of diagnosis status. We spend each day outside going on hikes, swimming, canoeing, tubing, using the ropes course, and even camping out under the stars!
Counselors are responsible for organizing, planning, and facilitating individual sessions, as well as handling day to day interactions with our campers. This includes overnight responsibilities to maintain appropriate supervision of campers. Counselors should have a positive attitude, as well as an understanding of children with special needs and the outdoors. Counselors should have completed at least one year of college.
- Staff Training begins May 30th, 2023 and will end on June 10th, 2023.
- 1 week long sessions will run June 11th-July 29th. There will be a week break July 1st-7th.
Benefits to you:
- Summer stipend starting at $2,400. Goes up depending on education & experience
- Room & Board
- 2 weeks of diverse training including trauma-informed care and behavior management
- Crisis Prevention and Intervention certification valid for 1 calendar year
- Experience in the field working with a variety of children with neurodiversities
- Experience in the field working with youth in the foster system
- A summer of playing and making a difference in young people's lives!
Qualified Individuals will have:
- Experience working with youth and working outdoors
- Current FBI/BCI Background Check, or be willing to acquire one
- Ability to stand/walk/hike for two to three hours at a time
- Ability to direct and supervise others with professionalism and respect
- A bachelor’s degree in education, special education, social work, psychology, or related field is preferred, but not required
Job Type: Temporary