Integrated Science Teacher, Upper Division
At Avenues, science teachers ensure that students act as scientists every day: asking questions, conducting experiments, and learning deeply from the world around them. In grades 6-8, we teach a rigorous, project-based curriculum that integrates fundamental concepts and skills from the physical, life, and earth sciences along with introductory robotics and engineering. Science teachers also work closely with teachers of visual art, English, and the World Course to design interdisciplinary learning experiences.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan science-based and interdisciplinary units and projects using backwards design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
Science teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of science teaching experience and an exemplary track record of student learning
- strong content knowledge in general physical, life, and earth sciences concepts, as well as one or more specialized topics (e.g. astronomy, environmental science, engineering, robotics, computer science, etc.)
- proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- experience with, or interest, in interdisciplinary, project-based teaching
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
If hired for this position, the annual salary range for this position is between $72,000 - $112,433. The salary may vary depending on your campus location and skills. Competitive benefits for benefits eligible roles include medical, dental, life insurance, 401K savings plan, generous paid time off, family forming benefits, health and wellness benefits and more.
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.