The district office of Speaker Adrienne Adams is looking for a dynamic and experienced individual to fill the position of Budget Director.
· Leads the annual budget process for the District Office.
· Manages discretionary expense and capital budget portfolio.
· Coordinates with budget staff of other Council Member offices and budget central staff in order to advance the Speaker’s District budget priorities.
· Assists in developing strategies to gain visibility for important initiatives and legislation.
· Performs outreach to community groups, local schools, non-profit organizations, etc. to assess needs and requests for discretionary funding.
· Meets with non-profits applying for City Council discretionary funding. Assists groups in navigating the budget process.
· Works with the entities that receive discretionary funding to ensure completion of applicable requirements, and reallocation of funding where necessary.
· Three+ years of policy experience in government or advocacy organizations.
· Undergraduate degree preferred.
· Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
· Team and mission oriented.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; ability to multi-task and prioritize with strong attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and political setting.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
· Bilingual is a plus.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
As of November 15, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus to work at City Hall and/or 250 Broadway offices, or at any Council Member district office, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the New York City Council, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the New York City Council.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact 212-482-5191.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.