Summer Intern, Information Technology
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
About the Information Technology Internship Program
Information technology is a key enabler of our long-term growth strategy. We are taking IT to another level to drive real business solutions and advance the way technology is applied in the biopharma industry. We are seeking talented, highly motivated undergraduates to join our Information Technology Intern Program. Our internships last ~ 12 weeks and during that time, we have a chance to evaluate you; and you have a chance to evaluate us. Successful interns may be offered a full-time role in Biogen IT’s Rotation Program. This two-year accelerated rotational program is designed to develop future leaders to help shape the technology and business solutions for our employees, partners, and patients. Participants will gain insight into Biogen's unique culture through experiential learning assignments across the Information Technology function. Throughout a series of assignments, participants will gain:
- Broad experience across an array of technology roles
- Exposure to entrepreneurial leaders with deep expertise and experience
- Experience with cutting-edge technology
- Cross-functional project management experience
- Designing client-driven solutions
- Knowledge of the biotechnology industry in a high-growth environment
- Upon completion of program, rotational associate will take on a full-time role within the Information Technology organization.
Illustrative Intern project opportunities
- Pharmaceutical Operations & Technology IT Analytics – Exposure to the development and deployment of key data and analytics platforms in PO&T for use in GXP Manufacturing (GXP) and for non-GXP activities supporting Supply Chain analytics, Business Intelligence, as well as support for the PO&T’s digital transformation program.
- Intelligent Digital Process Automation. Biogen is embarking on an intelligent Automation journey and a tight DevOps foundation for the underlying technologies is critical for efficient operations and exploit of the platform. The lifecycle of automation from idea to production use of an automation needs efficient workflow integration and end to end visibility through a sound DevOps infrastructure. This is critical for a lean and efficient operation and to ensure speed to delivery with agility. The intern talent would help us build this foundation for better automation lifecycle management.
- Information Security Computer Incident Response. Computer Incident Response continuous response and improvement using a variety of security tools within Security Operations. The candidate will investigate and analyze Threats, Phishing, and Malware Alerts generated by various internal and external Intelligent sources. The candidate will be led by management on the 6 Phases of Incident Response through to verification of any identified threat remediation. During the investigation and analysis phases, the candidate will be responsible for completing and updating related Incident Response documentation and will present to Security Operations their cumulative work showing various improvements implemented, information security documentation updated, and detailed analysis walk-through of interesting cases observed. Security Operations will continue to build upon this work to expand our Incident Response footprint and capabilities at Biogen.
- Advanced Analytics. Advanced analytics techniques (Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, etc.) can be used across many different functions to gain competitive advantage. Previous use cases included– Convert Voice to Text to Analysis for Pharmacovigilance, digital user experience etc. This will be input to explore more use cases and create projects for 2024.
Other potential project opportunities.
- R&D IT – Research, Development Sciences, Regulatory and/or Safety
- Commercial IT – Marketing, Field Enablement, Analytics
- Medical IT – Medical IT projects: Project management / business analysis
- Infrastructure – cloud computing
- Infrastructure – unified communications / collaboration
- Corporate IT – Service Management capabilities
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for technology and an interest in innovative, data-driven approaches to the field of information technology. We are looking for the following characteristics and experience:
- Pursuing a degree in an Information Technology field or related discipline (like Information Systems, Business Analytics, Data Analytics, or Computer Science)undergraduate degree program is preferred
- Interest / experience in any of these areas:
- Programming, chatbots, AI, IT business analysis, documentation and testing support
- emerging cloud-based integration technologies
- hands-on exposure to any modern programming language
- understanding of scripting and integration technologies.
- understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) concepts.
- Analysis skills across business process, systems and data
- Self-motivated and results-oriented
- Quick learner with ability and willingness to learn / understand new concepts/frameworks, algorithms, technology as needs arise.
- Passion and aptitude for technology with a desire to innovate
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Interpersonal competence and strong communication skills
- Undergraduate graduating class of 2024 (rising senior)
Cambridge, MA, Weston, MA and Research Triangle Park, NC (or remote if local protocols / restrictions mandate)