Environmental Engineer I
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 19356
Agency: Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources/ Division of Financial and Technical Assistance
Salary: $27.05- $28.40 per hour, depending on experience
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources. For more information on the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources, please visit https://danr.sd.gov/.
The mission of the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources (DANR) is to protect and preserve the state's agriculture, environment, and natural resources with the vision of a prosperous economy, diverse agricultural opportunities, clean air, clean water, and healthy families.
DANR's Environmental Funding Program is looking for an engineer to assist with the protection of South Dakota's water quality and improving the quality of life for residents by providing engineering related administrative and technical oversight to water, wastewater, and solid waste projects which have received grant or loan assistance through the various funding programs administered by the department.
Our team is responsible for helping improve water and sewer infrastructure throughout South Dakota by working with municipalities, rural water systems, and other political subdivisions to promote public health, protect the environment, and provide opportunities for economic development. Entering public service provides you the opportunity to become a steward of public policy and contribute to the improvements that are vital to the quality of life. You will join a team of engineers and financial professionals who work together to finance water and sewer infrastructure projects throughout South Dakota.
This assistance is accomplished by:
- conducting initial engineering evaluations of preliminary engineering reports and facilities plans to determine if proposed projects are technically viable, environmentally sound, and eligible for funding;
- working within a team concept to develop grant and loan financing packages;
- determining the level of environmental review for necessary projects and preparing the appropriate environmental documentation;
- reviewing plans and specifications and addendums for water, wastewater, and stormwater projects for compliance with accepted design standards and programmatic requirements;
- reviewing and approving pay requests for accuracy and assuring reimbursement is for program eligible costs;
- attending pre-construction meetings and conducting construction inspections to ensure projects are constructed in accordance with approved plans and specifications and meet all funding requirements. These inspections are performed outside in all weather conditions and are performed in settings with uneven terrain, construction equipment, and noise;
- reviewing contract change orders for compliance with accepted design standards, state bid law, and other programmatic requirements; and
- providing technical assistance to municipal officials, consulting engineers, planners, and other governmental agencies.
The position requires statewide travel approximately 10-15 percent of the time with occasional overnight stays. Office work includes sitting at a desk for long periods of time using a computer. Normal working hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., five days per week. The position works closely with municipalities and other units of government, consulting engineers, and planning districts.
Benefits of Working for DANR:
- We offer a $2,500 hiring and retention incentive; the first half of the incentive will be paid to you by your second paycheck. The remainder of the incentive is paid after you have worked with us for 15 months.
- The state of South Dakota offers a generous health benefits package, which includes health, vision, and dental insurance. Additionally, South Dakota has one of the top retirement systems in the nation.
- The State of South Dakota understands the importance of having a work/life balance, and this position includes paid vacation, sick leave, and family leave. You will work a 40-hour work week, which leaves you plenty of time to enjoy all that central South Dakota has to offer.
This job is an entry-level engineering position, and we offer extensive training opportunities to build your skills and knowledge. DANR cares about its employees and their career development. We offer the opportunity for career advancement in both technical and managerial tracks. You will work with and under the direction of licensed Professional Engineers, and we offer incentives to obtain your Professional Engineering license. In addition to this, DANR offers development opportunities for employees throughout the year. This is not just a job; it is an opportunity to start your career.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Applicants that have successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam are preferred.
- A valid drivers license is required.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Our ideal candidate is someone with a desire for continual learning and strong problem-solving, analytical, and interpersonal skills. We are looking for someone who wants to serve the citizens of South Dakota by protecting and improving water quality and growing our economy. Only applicants that possess a Bachelor's/Master's degree in environmental, civil, or a related engineering field will be considered. Applicants that have successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam to receive certification as an Engineer in Training or the ability to obtain the certification are preferred.
- the practical application of engineering. This includes knowledge of applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to solve environmental and natural resources engineering problems;
- materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of wastewater collection and treatment systems and water distribution, storage, and treatment systems;
- the causes of water pollution and the principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment of water pollution control;
- public finance as it relates to infrastructure financing and capital improvement budgeting; and
- the principles and processes for providing excellent customer service.
- use mathematics to solve problems;
- use scientific rules and methods to solve problems;
- work with others to reconcile differences; and
- effectively use computers and various software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and geographic information systems (GIS).
- read, interpret, and evaluate engineering plans and specifications for acceptable engineering practices;
- organize, analyze, and evaluate available information to draw reasonable conclusions;
- use time management skills to work on multiple projects and complete designated tasks within time goals;
- communicate effectively;
- walk, sit, stand for extended periods of time, and
- climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
Additional Requirements: Please attach a copy of your college transcripts with your application.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"