Community Health Partner (Chinese-speaking)
Academy of Medical & Public Health Services (AMPHS) is a Brooklyn-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating barriers to accessing healthcare for immigrants and other underserved communities in NYC. Every year, we proudly serve and connect more than 10,000 New Yorkers to healthcare systems. For more information, please visit www.amphsonline.org or follow our work at www.facebook.com/AMPHS.NYC.
We are seeking a multilingual Chinese speaker to serve as Community Health Partner (CHP) and provide case management support, education and outreach across AMPHS’ health, social service, and education programs, creating a streamlined care model across programs for our AAPI families. The CHP helps families understand and access community services and resources, while guiding them to adopt healthy behaviors. They support our clinicians, social workers, and program managers by providing an integrated support system that addresses the social determinants of health affecting the local community, which can range from access to care to advocacy and education about immigrant rights.
The CHP will report directly to the Manager of Community Health. Our Programs Director and Social Worker will also provide individual support as needed. This is an in-person opportunity, with possible hybrid work.
- Provide culturally-sensitive outreach and education on public health topics, immigrant and healthcare rights, public benefits, and AMPHS’ health and immigrant service programs.
- Provide interpretation, follow-up, and case management for health and social services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with neighborhood stakeholders.
- Build rapport with community members and provide ongoing follow-up, support, and advocacy.
- Assist with written translation of social service materials and other program literature, as needed.
- Provide basic health screenings and health coaching within practice scope; training will be provided.
- Document all case notes in the case management database within 24 hours after contact.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: Preference given to candidates with a bachelor’s diploma or higher.
- Experience: Prior case management, outreach, canvassing, or organizing experience preferred, including experience working in a multicultural setting.
- Language: Written and oral bilingual fluency in English and Chinese Mandarin required; additional fluency in Cantonese and/or Fujianese preferred.
- Immunization: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required for in-person work per NYC DOHMH mandates.
- Other Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen well, speak articulately in a public setting and use language appropriately.
- Strong knowledge of the Sunset Park and/or South Brooklyn area through prior experience living or working in the neighborhood.
- Knowledge of some medical terminology preferred, but not required.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft Office. Past experience with database use.
This is a full-time position, with occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Annual Salary Range: $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience.
- AMPHS’ compensation package includes:
- Employer-sponsored health benefits
- Retirement savings
- Loan Forgiveness Programs for eligible employees
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- Employee discounts programs
- Professional development opportunities, with opportunities to learn from industry experts to help you advance in the field of public health, health policy, immigration and nonprofit administration
Please submit a copy of your cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-serve basis.