Steward - Harvard MA
The Trustees of Reservations is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. We manage, protect and share almost 100 irreplaceable, natural and historic properties across New England, including Castle Hill and the Crane Estate, World’s End and the deCordova Sculpture Park & Museum, to name but a few.
Reporting to the Stewardship Manager, the Steward responsible for the year-round, day-to-day maintenance of Fruitlands Museum, which consists of a collection of historic homes, art galleries, event space, a café, an open space. The Steward is primarily responsible for routine landscaping and janitorial tasks at Fruitlands with occasional assignments at the other three properties, and three other properties, The Old Manse, Farandnear and Malcolm Preserve.
In this role you will:
- The Steward provides leadership to seasonal staff and volunteers as needed. This position is primarily field based with some administrative tasks.
- Perform daily cleaning and restocking of seven restrooms across three buildings.
- Perform weekly cleaning of three public buildings.
- Perform bi-weekly cleaning of two art galleries and two historic buildings.
- Perform routine landscape maintenance including but not limited to lawn mowing, string trimming, bed edging, mulching, trash pickup, raking, tree care, hedge trimming, field mowing etc.
- Perform routine maintenance of all structures including custodial, painting, light carpentry, and plumbing.
- Assist the Stewardship Manager and other team members in larger landscape and building projects.
- Safely and efficiently operate equipment including mowers, small tractors, UTVs, and trucks
- Operate and maintain vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to the highest standards.
- Provide cheerful and positive oversight and recognition of volunteer, intern, and seasonal employee efforts in the field.
- Participate in weekly meetings to cooperatively plan work with other members of the Fruitlands team.
- Ensure positive visitor experience and safety, as the primary public-facing presence on these properties.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships with our neighbors, visitors, town officials, businesses, and Trustees staff from other divisions and regions.
- Other duties as assigned.
You will have 2+ years of professional experience in property maintenance, landscaping or relevant experience, including:
- High School diploma; Bachelor's degree preferred
- Experience in landscape and trails maintenance with an eye for quality outcomes and attention to detail
- Experience using, maintaining and repairing hand and power tools including string trimmers, brush saws, chainsaws, blowers and more
- Basic carpentry and painting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with the public
- Proven history of completing assigned tasks and projects, multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; experience keeping records
- This full-time position is located in Harvard, MA with travel to other sites
- Position is scheduled Wednesday through Sunday with some required evening and paid overtime work
- Candidates must have a valid driver's license, as well as a satisfactory driving record
- Able to handle the physical demands of the job, which will include routinely lifting 50 pounds and working in all weather conditions.
- Massachusetts Hoisting License - 2A (preferred) or willingness and ability to obtain
- Massachusetts Commercial Pesticide Applicator License (preferred) or willingness and ability to obtain
- OSHA 10 Hour General Industry (preferred) or willingness to obtain
- Wilderness First Aid (preferred) or willingness to obtain