Research Associate II - Virology and Vaccine Development
A Research Associate II position is available in the Laboratory of Dr. Don Diamond in the Department of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation of the City of Hope. Dr. Diamond’s research team is seeking a highly motivated candidate with experience in molecular biology/virology or viral immunology. The position is available as part of multiple-disciplinary research projects to develop COVID-19 and CMV vaccines based on a highly efficient and fully synthetic poxvirus-vectored vaccine platform for pathogen preparedness and infectious disease prevention. The successful applicant will join a highly productive research team to develop and characterize recombinant vaccine vectors by various in vitro methods and to test these vaccine candidates for in vivo immunogenicity and protective efficacy in different animal models.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelors degree in Molecular Biology, Virology, Immunology or other related field with 2 years of experience or Masters with 1 year of experience is required
- Interest and knowledge in vaccine research and coronavirus/herpesvirus/poxvirus virology
- Experience in DNA cloning, PCR, electrophoresis, immunoblot, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, ELISA, virus propagation and titration, cell culture or related laboratory techniques
- Knowledge in recombinant DNA technologies and viral vector design
- Willingness to work with COVID-19 pseudovirus, clinical-isolates of cytomegalovirus, and attenuated poxviruses under biosafety level 1 and 2 conditions
- background in viral immunology, with documented experience in developing and performing immunoassays to analyze antibody and T cell responses is a plus
- Ability to independently document scientific progress
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- For more information on Dr. Don Diamond’s research please visit here
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.