Trade & Investment Associate - Technology, New York
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Main purpose of job:
Be part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, and the second highest investment destination in the world. The UK is also the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with the passion and drive to help us in our mission to build a global appetite for British goods and services; drive investment; negotiate trade deals and open up markets; improve international trading standards and fight unfair trading practices.
Based at the British Consulate-General in New York, the Technology Trade & Investment Associate is part of a 4-person tech team and a wider 25 person, regional trade and investment team covering NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, and Connecticut. The New York technology team supports both US & UK companies as they grow internationally, focussing on companies in AI & Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, Enterprise SaaS, Cybersecurity, Future of Work, Future of Commerce, and a host of other emerging technology areas. The Trade & Investment Associate has a great opportunity to embed themselves in the exciting New York & UK tech ecosystems, as well as gain insight into wider US & Canadian trends through supporting the North America Tech Sector Director.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify and reach out to fast-growing and established US technology companies interested in establishing or expanding operations in the UK to build on a pipeline of ambitious foreign direct investment projects.
- Support the team in advising seed to unicorn stage UK tech start-ups as they launch and grow in the New York region.
- Identify and reach out to local corporate innovation teams and tech ecosystem influencers to build a pipeline of opportunities for UK start-ups.
- Support the organization of accelerator programs, boot camps, and other delegations of UK companies visiting the New York region for trade shows or standalone activity.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the technology ecosystem in the wider New York region and the UK; keep up-to-date with the latest trends in emerging technologies.
- Develop positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional service providers, and other key partners within the tech ecosystem.
- Assist with high-profile visits, including UK Ministerial and VIP delegations through scheduling high-level meetings, organizing activities, and preparing briefing materials.
- Support North America Tech Sector Director on US & Canadian team-wide activities and occasional operational & administrative duties.
- Attend local trade shows and events to widen the British Consulate’s tech network.
- Provide operational and administrative support to Officers including maintaining client relationship management system and other reporting mechanisms.
- Other duties as assigned.
This role is 40 hours a week.
The British Embassy and its US Network embraces hybrid working, allowing its staff to typically work from home twice a week. We are an organization that also recognises the critical value of teamwork and we embrace and endorse collaboration by ensuring that all staff attend the office flexibly yet regularly.
Level of language required: excellent verbal and written English.
Essential on arrival:
- Professional experience in a relevant field.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional and helpful manner.
- Ability to undertake research and follow market trends to identify new opportunities.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An interest in the technology sector in the US and/or UK.
- Ability to use a variety of online and social media tools and knowledge of MS office.
- Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel within the US and UK up to 15% of your time.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
30 November 2022
Executive Officer (EO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
$28.28 per hour
30 January 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We actively encourage learning & development and will develop a specific plan in collaboration with the successful candidate.
- Generous leave package plus public holidays
- Generous 401k matching
- Excellent healthcare options
- Paid sick leave
- Generous parental leave policy
- A great work-life balance including flexible start and finish times and a hybrid working model with staff splitting their time between working from home and the office
- Short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance coverage
- High quality L&D services with global sessions and events every day to help you develop and meet organisational needs, including up to 5 days paid leave each year to pursue your professional development
- Inclusivity is one of our core values and we strive to treat everyone openly, fairly and equally. All new team members learn about how they can contribute to an inclusive environment and the importance of diversity and inclusion
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed. The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.