Outreach Intern - Project on Nuclear Issues (Spring 2023)
At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS seeks a full-time intern to support the Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) with outreach and communication efforts. PONI interns support the operational and substantive goals of PONI and will contribute to initiatives to develop the next generation of nuclear experts. The outreach intern will help maintain the Next Generation Nuclear Network website and support PONI’s external communications and social media accounts. In addition, the outreach intern will provide general administrative support and help promote and plan events for the Conference Series, Nuclear Scholars Initiative, and Mid-Career Cadre.
Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of task work. The intern will be paid an hourly rate between $16.10-$18.10 based on qualifications and skillset.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following
- Compile the Nuclear Policy News mailing three times a week.
- Draft monthly newsletters
- Maintain and produce content for the PONI website, the Next Generation Nuclear Network. This includes the opportunity to write independent research for the website.
- Support PONI’s outreach efforts, including drafting content for social media.
- Support PONI staff in coordinating, promoting, organizing, and staffing events.
Knowledge, education, and experience
- Must be at least a college junior in good standing, an advanced student or recent graduate
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Social media proficiency
- Interest in defense and security issues, international relations, and foreign policy, specifically nuclear issues
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently but also collaboratively with a team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Experience with communications and coordinating events is preferred
- Hybrid or in-person candidates are preferred
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
Interested applications should submit a resume, cover letter, and a college transcript to https://careers.csis.org/.