Research Scientist Internship/Co-Op
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
The Heirloom team is on a path to creating a sustainable, scalable, and economically viable carbon removal system. This technology - which requires a unique blend of geology, chemistry, industrial engineering, and process engineering - doesn’t yet exist at the scales necessary to make a difference, so we need to build it ourselves.
The Research Scientist Internship (~3 months) / Co-Op (~6 months) is an opportunity for current students to get involved with Heirloom’s research work for developing and deploying Direct Air Capture. This role specifically works with our research team on developing robust and innovative process pathways and parameters to enable low cost carbon removal.
The Research Scientist Internship/Co-Op is available to students currently working towards a BS, MS, PhD or other graduate degree in Science (such as Geochemistry, Materials Science, Geological and Earth Sciences, Chemistry, or related field) or Engineering (such as Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related field). Prior experience in a laboratory setting and data processing in Python are a plus.
What You Will Do
- Geochemical research and materials characterization.
- Executing laboratory testing according to standard procedures.
- Designing experiments to test key process parameter(s).
- Operating, calibrating, maintenance, and performance checks for laboratory equipment.
- Analyzing quantitative data and modeling chemical reactions.
- Documenting findings and communicating results.
- Collaborate with research investigators for testing.
- Identify and suggest improvements in methods and procedures.
- Work as a part of a team of world-class scientists and engineers to execute on our development plans, with an urgency rooted in the importance of our mission.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, PhD or other graduate degree in Science (such as Geochemistry, Materials Science, Geological and Earth Sciences, Chemistry, or related field) or Engineering (such as Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related field).
- Knowledge of and/or interest in direct air capture.
- Self-motivated and willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced organization.
- You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team. Application reviews will begin on November 30.