Transportation Community Planner
The employee will serve as a Community Planner (Transportation) responsible for overseeing and administering transportation planning programs and activities for the development of transportation plans and work products that lead to implementable transportation projects or programs. Provides guidance to the Agency, State Department of Transportation, Metropolitan Planning Organization(s) (MPO), and local government officials regarding assigned areas of the Transportation Planning program.
As a Transportation Community Planner, you will:
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to FHWA staff and state Department of Transportation and MPO staffs on current Federal planning requirements, policies, procedures, and guidance.
- Oversee the development of transportation planning processes, programs and products and assess the adequacy of State and/or Metropolitan Planning processes to meet Federal transportation planning requirements.
- Explain requirements, negotiate working agreements, exchange and review information; and resolve problems with state Department of Transportation and/or MPO officials and other interested parties.
- Promote developing and applying strategic and effective transportation planning management systems and lead in the implementation of new transportation planning program requirements and best practices.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for planning and system data.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced mid-career transportation planning professional who has the skills and abilities to effectively represent the agency to Federal, state and local officials and the general public. This candidate is someone with good communication, negotiation and partnering skills who desires to work in a challenging, complex, innovative environment.