Private Equity Secondaries Intern (Spring 2023)
Private Equity Secondaries Intern
Kline Hill Partners
Experience: Requires interest in private equity and investment management. No prior direct experience required.
Reports to: Investment Senior Associate and/or Associate
Skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Education: Pursuing an undergraduate degree at a leading college or university (please include major, GPA and standardized test scores on resume)
Kline Hill Partners (“Kline Hill”) invests in private equity funds, private equity-backed companies and other opportunistic transactions primarily by providing liquidity to existing investors via transaction sizes substantially smaller than are typical in the private equity secondary market. Kline Hill seeks to deliver superior risk-adjusted returns by focusing on what it considers to be the least efficient segments of the secondary market to build a broadly diversified portfolio of assets acquired at discounts to their intrinsic value. Kline Hill believes there is a substantial annual volume of these “small-deal secondary” transactions that is underserved by both large and small secondary funds. Kline Hill manages over $2.0 billion in assets across a range of investment vehicles and is currently investing out of its third fund series, raised in early 2020.
Kline Hill strives to operate a best-in-class secondaries platform with an institutional approach in areas such as transaction sourcing, deal team staffing, due diligence, finance, operations, information technology, compliance, independent oversight, attention to culture and investor relations.
The firm is 100% employee owned with over 30 employees and maintains offices in Greenwich, CT and Zurich, Switzerland.
Responsibilities/What you will learn:
The Intern’s main responsibility is to assist the secondary private equity investment team in conducting due diligence on investment opportunities and support the finance department in execution of fund operations. In this role the Intern will be responsible for:
- Assisting in portfolio management, accounting and tracking cash flows; quarterly and annual portfolio reporting
- Reviewing annual and quarterly reports and financial statements of venture capital/LBO/mezzanine funds
- Support preparation of analysis for presentation to Kline Hill’s investment committee
- Learn to utilize S&P Capital IQ and Pitchbook databases to perform company and industry analysis
- Opportunity to gain analytical skills for assessing the long-term viability of portfolio companies, the market for their products/services, their financing needs, and the fund's exit options
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Should possess a strong work ethic, exceptional analytical ability, and high level of attention to detail
- Organization skills with ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Self-starter that will thrive in an entrepreneurial and small team environment
- Interest in private equity and investment management financial analysis and valuation techniques
- Understanding of financial statements and capital structures preferred