5G/6G Radio Research Summer Intern 220000LOT
Position: 5G/6G Radio Research Summer Intern
Duration: 10 weeks
Date: June - Aug 2023
Location: Onsite / Hybrid
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Strategy & Technology
Strategy and Technology lays the path for Nokia’s future technology innovation and identifies the most promising areas for Nokia to create new value. We set the company’s strategy and technology vision, offer an unparalleled research foundation for innovation, and provide critical support infrastructure for Nokia.
Currently a candidate for PhD degree or diploma in electrical engineering or computer science in the field of telecommunications with an accredited school in the US.
What you will learn and contribute to
As part of our team, you will:
- Conduct radio systems research related to future wireless networks (5G-Advanced / 6G). Research areas include multiple antenna techniques, massive MIMO, AI/ML based air-interface design, sub-THz communications, joint communication and sensing, positioning, non-terrestrial networks, industrial IoT, and channel modeling.
- Assess RF, link-level and system level performance evaluation by means of advanced simulations.
- Create inventions and intellectual property related to 5G Evolution and beyond air-interface and MAC design.
- Publications of analysis and results both externally and internally. Externally, it should be published at an IEEE conference, magazine or journal.
What is Nokia looking for from me
- MSc in the field of telecommunications but also other fields like electronics, computer science, mathematics or physics are considered.
- Knowledge and working experience in advanced mobile radio networks including aspects like: physical layer design, multiple access methods, waveforms and modulation, channel coding, MIMO and beamforming operation, RF design aspects.
- Analytical skills, including abilities to address complicated problems, division of those into manageable sub-problems, and related problem-solving skills.
It would be nice if you also had:
- Understanding radio channel modelling, link budget and link level performance.
- Knowledge of 3GPP RAN specifications such as LTE and 5G NR.
- Documented research experience and impact; e.g. from former industrial research and/or solid track record of high-quality publications at internationally recognized conferences and Journals or other Industrial fora.
- Creative mindset and curiosity to research and develop new radio access network solutions.
- Agile mindset and willingness to occasionally change research direction and topics; e.g. adapting quickly to technology agreements made in 3GPP standardization.
- Ability to conduct both independent research as well as being a good collaborator working as part of team, including virtual multi-site teams.
- Fluent spoken and written English skills.
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this Summer 2023!
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021
Follow and engage with us on social media:
Chat with our Nokia insiders to ask questions and learn more about us!
- Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law.