Applied AI Research Solutions BL Intern 2200000LUN
Position: Applied AI Research Solutions BL Intern
Duration: 10 Weeks
Date: June 5th - August 12th, 2023
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Nokia Bell Labs is the world-renowned research arm of Nokia, having invented many of the foundational technologies that underpin information and communications networks and all digital devices and systems. This research has produced nine Nobel Prizes, five Turing Awards and numerous other awards.
The AI-Accelerator Group at Nokia Bell Labs is developing state-of-the-art artificial intelligence-based solutions for a wide range of applications from using computer vision for real time understanding of physical spaces to natural language processing to interpret and understand enterprise related language. We perform research ranging from building efficient and robust machine learning models, to system-level architecture design, with end-to-end solutions deployed into real-world applications such as agents for autonomous control, asset/people tracking in Enterprise environments, and Industrial automation.
We are seeking highly motivated, talented and enthusiastic students to take part in this year’s Bell Labs Summer Internship Program, ideally designed for graduate students (or exceptional undergraduates with research experience). Based on performance, candidates may also be considered for full-time employment. Students will have the opportunity to learn and work with a multi-disciplinary team of world experts, while contributing to the on-going efforts with their expertise and experience in a classical Bell Labs-style setting.
Currently a candidate for PhD program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or related field with an accredited school in US.
What you will learn and contribute to
Depending on the intern’s interest and academic/research experience, interns will have a chance to partake in one of the following projects (or related work):
- Robust AI Systems that can detect uncertainties and continuously learn while minimizing human intervention
- AI/ML model optimization for scalable systems. Techniques for reducing computational resources of deep neural network-based learning models – such as binarization, pruning, and merging multiple pre-trained models. Solutions will be benchmarked in Enterprise related applications.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning (DRL) for robotic grasping. Investigate approaches for autonomous robotic control with emphasis on determining optimal grasping policies. You will work with simulated and real robotic arms to demonstrate grasping generalization using multiple objects. This project advances earlier work in this space.
- Developing automated and low-cost data collection techniques for the purposes of sensor calibration (e.g. camera) or generating ground truth for model training.
What is Nokia looking for from me
- Willingness to contribute with creative, out-of-the-box solutions, to problems arising in a dynamic environment
- Some experience with AI/ML and competency in a one or more programming languages (Python, Matlab, C/C++, etc)
- Machine Learning development experience that includes one or more of these: data cleaning, building models with frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch, packaging into Docker based microservices and deploying end-to-end pipelines.
- Overall GPA of 3.25/4.0 or above
It would be nice if you also had:
- Have experience in one of these: deep learning neural network architectures, ML model optimization, model drift detection, continual learning or design of reinforcement learning agents for robotic arm control within ROS framework.
- Have Machine Learning development experience that includes one or more of these: data cleaning, building models with frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch, packaging into Docker based microservices and deploying end-to-end pipelines.
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this summer 2023!
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021
Follow and engage with us on social media:
Chat with our Nokia insiders to ask questions and learn more about us!
- Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law