Food Inspector--Amarillo, TX
This announcement is for a Food Inspector position with USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service. The position is located in Amarillo, TX. Please apply at https://www.usajobs.gov/job/689445400 and message the contact on Handshake for more information. The position description and qualifications are below.
Required Qualifications for Food Inspectors (resume needs to demonstrate experience or transcripts need to demonstrate education):
For the GS-5 level: Applicants must have one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience that was obtained after your 16th birthday. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the applicant's knowledge, judgment, interpretive ability, and technical skill associated with the production of a finished product which meets all prescribed standards of quality and confirms with approved production methods. Such experience may have been gained in the following:
- Experience in a slaughter or processing plant, or a comparable manufacturing or production activity which prepares food for human consumption. This experience must demonstrate skills in sorting good from bad; applying, interpreting, and explaining standards, making decisions, and communicating with others.
- Experience as a meat cutter/butcher in a wholesale or retail meat/poultry business, provided a full range of responsible duties are performed such as cutting or butchering, sanitation, dealing with customers, meeting customer standards, use of judgment, interpretation of various requirements, and sorting acceptable from unacceptable.
- Quality control or laboratory analytical experience in the food industry or other similar production environments. An example of qualifying experience may be a Veterinary Technician conducting lab tests, assessing animals and/or partial examination of animals, performing necropsies, monitoring animals under anesthesia and administering medications.
- Supervisory responsibilities in the food or livestock industry, which demonstrates the applicant applied and has effective skills in communicating job requirements, evaluating results of work methods or processes, applying instructions, and interpreting standards or regulations. Responsibility for management or supervision of a full scale commercial or industrial livestock or poultry enterprise.
- Commercial restaurant or kitchen chef or cook responsible for proper food preparation, safe food handling and sanitation practices and judgment recognizing abnormalities in food.
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university that included at least 12 semester hours in biological, physical, mathematical, or agricultural sciences. If you are qualifying based on education, you must submit a copy of your transcripts when you apply; failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating. If you are selected for a position, official transcripts must be sent directly from your college, in paper form in a sealed envelope or in a secure, certified official electronic format to our Minneapolis Human Resource Operations Division prior to reporting for duty.
Education is not qualifying for the GS-7 grade level, and we require that they have prior regulatory experience. By that I mean, they have to have prior experience working in state, federal, or military meat inspection.
- Entry-level Food Inspector positions filled through this announcement work in slaughter plants. Our Food Inspectors:
- Examine food animals in privately-owned meat or poultry plants.
- Perform their duties before and after slaughter, guaranteeing that the product is not contaminated.
- Maintain sanitation procedures.
- Are a valued member of a dynamic team that ensures the product is fit to eat and compliant with Federal laws.