Communications Intern - PR & Social
Play Like a Girl!® is the national 501(c)3 nonprofit organization on a mission to level the playing field for girls by leveraging the skills gained from sport to propel young women into competitive, male-dominated careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related fields (STEM+). The organization connects middle school girls with women professionals and male allies - from global companies like Bridgestone Americas, Google, Medtronic, and Uber. Earlier this year, we announced the “Ready for Any Field” campaign to mark the countdown to our 20th anniversary (October 2024). This campaign will fuel Play Like a Girl’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more girls and women reach their limitless potential.
We welcome everyone at Play Like a Girl. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals because we know diverse teams build better programs and services. Candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Play Like a Girl is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, with teammates working nationwide. So, whether you live on the coasts, in the south or in the midwest, we offer you the best of both worlds working remotely while collaborating with a highly-connected team.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Play Like a Girl is hiring a communications intern. In this role you will assist our small but mighty PR/Communications team with media relations, influencer marketing, and blog and social media content development. This opportunity is highly competitive, and you will be held to a high standard.
You will have the opportunity to elevate our constituent stories, and grow your media relations skills. To be successful in this role, you must be enthusiastic, proactive, self-directed, entrepreneurial, client-service oriented and nimble. You must be able to work under demanding deadlines in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You also must possess excellent computer, communication and organizational skills.
- Assist with the development and implementation of media strategies and communications plans that support functional and organizational goals
- Research, identify and vet media contacts and influencers
- Build media tracker
- Track media clippings
- Provide weekly updates
- Assist with media coverage reports
- Work with external agencies, participate in research and attend weekly team meetings to help inform our press strategies and communications efforts
- Monitor reporters and influencers across social media channels and apply that knowledge to increase the effectiveness of media strategies
- Assist with managing editorial calendar
- Develop and schedule social media and other marketing content
- Track and monitor metrics
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, STEM+ or a related field
- Graduating in Spring 2024
- Strong writer who can develop materials without significant editing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work with cross-functional teams and stakeholders
- An interest in developing experience in strategic communications
- A passion for our mission to level the playing field for girls
This is an unpaid educational internship program, but all interns will receive a $1,800 stipend to reimburse expenses including food and travel. Stipend payments are made in two installments: (1) 50% at midterm and (2) 50% upon successful completion of the internship.
- College credit available upon request
- Work directly with a mentor in your field of study while finding solutions to real-world problems
- Interact directly with our CEO and Board to discuss strategy and the future of Play Like a Girl
- Build a lasting professional network through social events and engaging STEM+ and sport activities
- You will be immersed in exciting opportunities that will empower you to make decisions and develop your skills as a PR/Communications or Marketing professional
- Throughout your internship, you will have the opportunity to apply your education to meaningful projects while developing skills in communications and marketing acumen, data analytics, nonprofit leadership, emotional intelligence, and problem solving
- Gain the skills and knowledge to become a future leader in the PR/Communications, Marketing and Nonprofit industry
- In addition, you’ll explore the vast range of PR/Communications and Marketing careers through informational interviews with our top professionals and development opportunities that the organization has to offer
Deadline to Apply
November 30, 2022
How to Apply
Submit the following application materials via a complete Handshake profile by 5pm CDT on the closing date:
- Cover Letter explaining thoroughly any organizations or projects that you led.
- Resume highlighting specific technical skills, time management, ability to follow through and execute, and ability to contribute and collaborate in a team setting. Links to your social media pages (must be public)
- Writing Sample—AP style press release, announcing Play Like a Girl’s 20th anniversary celebration under the “Ready for Any Field” banner including but not limited to the following:
- Spotlight on women role models and mentors
- Launch of a new podcast
- A pop-up event and “Ready for Any Field” road tour
- Commemorative product release
- In-store activations in various participating retailers
- Social media contest
January 17 - May 19, 2023
Candidates must be 18 years of age or older to apply, Applicants best matching the attributes and qualifications described here will be scheduled for virtual interviews.
Interns must be available to work between 18 to 24 hours a week and commit to the full semester—usually 10-12 weeks in fall, spring or summer. Some positions are expected to be hybrid so the selected candidate will be required to work onsite in Nashville and, occasionally, from a remote location.