Bell Labs Applied AI/ML Research Intern 2200000LVS
Position: Bell Labs Applied AI/ML Research Intern
Duration: 10 weeks
Date: June 5 - August 11
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Bell Labs Summer Intern
Nokia Bell Labs is building the future of human experience and our interns will have the opportunity to learn from and work with industry leading experts, who solve the most formidable challenges confronting our world through disruptive innovation and research.
Within Bell Labs Solutions Research, we are working on a project to contribute to the company’s sustainability targets. In this project, we are researching and developing technology in the area of environmental sensing; one area we are looking at for further innovation is that of using Machine Learning for sensor data analytics.
Currently a candidate for bachelor’s degree or diploma in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or related field with an accredited school in US. Minimum GPA 3.0.
What you will learn and contribute to
You will research and develop innovative ML strategies and solutions for sensor data acquisition and/or analytics on heterogeneous IoT data streams.
As part of our team, you will:
- Design, build, test and integrate software and AI/ML models
- Apply AI/ML in areas like IoT data processing, object detection, semantic segmentation and/or image/video processing
- Work in close cooperation with the mentor and other interns; be a member of a team practicing Agile methodology
- Collaborate with team members to create innovative ideas and rapidly develop proofs-of-concept and prototype solutions
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems, improve user experience, optimize system performance, all where needed
What is Nokia looking for from me
We are looking for people like us: you love to code and build new systems that do real things, work with state-of-the-art technologies, and always keep an eye on delivering high quality work. In addition, you communicate well, and can thrive in highly dynamic environment with fast changing goals and technologies.
- Strong software development, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good Python programming skills
- Proficient in designing, building and training neural network and CNN pipelines using popular deep learning frameworks like tensorflow, pytorch, keras or numpy
It would be nice if you also had:
- Familiar with the end-to-end process of building machine learning models i.e. collecting, preparing, annotating training data, building network with different layers (e.g. fully connected, convolution, pooling, dropout), training the model, monitoring the training process, validating/testing the model
- Experience in the use of data mining, machine learning, and predictive analytics to address real-life problems
- Experience with modern machine learning techniques such as Deep Learning, Transfer Learning, Reinforcement Learning
- Experience with image/video processing using OpenCV
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this Summer 2023!
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021
Follow and engage with us on social media:
Chat with our Nokia insiders to ask questions and learn more about us!
- Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law.