Digital Communications Coordinator
Job Announcement: Digital Communications Coordinator, Columbia Riverkeeper
Organizational Overview: Columbia Riverkeeper is a successful nonprofit organization that unites communities to fight for clean water and our climate. Columbia Riverkeeper advances high-profile campaigns to recover healthy salmon populations and protect the Columbia River from fossil fuels, toxic pollution, the Hanford Nuclear Site, and other threats facing Columbia communities and salmon habitat. Our work is featured in national media, including CNN, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Los Angeles Times.
Across our campaigns, we promote justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in environmental decisions and our own actions. This includes working in solidarity with Tribal Nations to achieve common goals. Our team includes community organizers, scientists, communications specialists, and attorneys. To learn more about our commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, click here, and to review our values, click here.
Location: Portland or Hood River, Oregon, or possibility of working remotely within Oregon or Washington. Work is remote, with the option to work from the office if preferred part- or full-time or when team meetings are scheduled.
Status: Full-time; Exempt Position.
Position Description: The ideal candidate will be a creative storyteller with social media experience building communities, interacting with followers, and creating unique content. They are able to digest complicated legal and scientific jargon into easy to understand concepts. They enjoy researching and analyzing campaign communications data to learn from campaigns. They are dedicated to environmental and social justice. They understand the power of strategic digital communications to drive people to action and create real change. They can think through a digital campaign from start to finish and how to track success. They are willing to do creative brainstorming, develop plans, work independently, project manage, hire and manage contractors, hire and monitor vendor agreements, and other logistics for digital campaigns. Attention to detail and a keen eye for typos are important. The position requires occasional evening and weekend work and travel.
- Develop and Execute Social Media Strategies: The Digital Communications Coordinator will develop and execute a robust social media strategy. This includes developing overall creative digital campaign strategies for social media, messaging, and strategic partnerships on our campaign priorities. This position has a particular focus amplifying the stories of communities impacted by environmental and climate justice issues along the Columbia River and may require some travel to those communities to capture their stories. Riverkeeper’s team will provide input to support the Coordinator’s management of social media strategies.
- Website and Email Marketing: The Digital Communications Coordinator will support staff with digital marketing requests including writing, editing, updating the website, laying out emails, and graphic design (Canva).
- Online and In-Person Events: The Digital Communications Coordinator will lead project management for webinars (creating an editorial calendar of webinars with staff, marketing the event, IT, project management, and running slides) and attend in-person events to connect the organization’s online followers to important gatherings.
- Other Duties as Needed: The Digital Communications Coordinator will assist the Communications & Marketing Director with the print newsletter, media support on occasion, and other communications support duties.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Two or more years’ experience in social media marketing.
- Experience with digital communications strategy, implementation, and management.
- Understanding of and commitment to advancing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications messaging.
- Strong project management skills, including attention to detail and time management.
- Experience working in a team and with partner organizations to develop and implement joint strategies.
- Video editing is a plus.
- Graphic design is a plus.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- B.A. or B.S. (or two years’ experience, which may include volunteer work or personal social media branding)
*A note to potential candidates: Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary, BIPOC, and other candidates from most-impacted communities are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s welcome. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
Reports to: Communications & Marketing Director
Salary & Benefits:
- $55,000 - $62,000 starting annual salary, negotiable within this range depending on experience.
- Full employee medical, vision, and dental coverage
- Generous vacation, family, and sick leave package
- Paid holidays and personal days
- 401k annual contribution
- Annual professional development allowance
- Annual self-care bonus
- Encouraging and flexible work environment
To Apply: Email a resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Digital Communications Coordinator.” Include: If possible, please combine materials in one pdf including cover letter, resume, references, and social media portfolio (could be top social media campaigns or a video telling us why you’re the best person for the job). Title the PDF attachment “Last Name.First Name Digital Communications Coordinator.”
Application: Deadline: December 9, 2022.
Consider applying early; the Hiring Team will review applications on a rolling basis.
Start date: Preferred start in January 2023.
Columbia Riverkeeper is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.