2023 Graduate - Advanced Missile Simulations Analyst
Are you a dedicated problem-solver who is curious about algorithms for guided air vehicles?
Are you interested in simulating highly complex physics problems and applying advanced data science to understand the results?
Would you like to learn about the newest and most innovative missile defense technologies?
Then we want you to join our team and help us evaluate and advance new technologies that protect our nation!
The Weapon Systems Engineering group is seeking a technical professional to help us address complex engineering challenges for advanced missile defense systems. We are a multi-disciplinary team of experts whose goals are to conceive and assess real-world missile systems, perform laboratory / field testing, conduct in-depth analysis of post-processed data, and present findings to sponsors and the warfighter. Our group promotes professional growth, a balanced life, and diversity of thought.
As an Advanced Missile Simulations Analyst:
- Your primary responsibility will be to generate and analyze simulated guided missile data through the use of high-fidelity and mixed-fidelity simulations and statistical analysis tools.
- You will evaluate the performance of various existing and future interceptor systems, examining EO/IR and RF seeker operations, guidance and control performance, fire control sensor handover processes, missile proximity fuzing, and warhead efficacy.
- Verify and validate simulations against requirements and real world data to obtain formal accreditation.
- Present key findings to various government sponsors including the U.S. Navy and Missile Defense Agency (MDA), among others.
- Make an impact on decisions and future designs for the systems that keep our warfighters safe!
You meet our minimum qualifications for this job if you:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering field, Math or Physics.
- Have exposure to scientific computing, data analysis, or a background in statistics and/or stochastic processes through classwork, projects, or internships.
- Are proficient in MATLAB or a similar scientific computing language such as SciPy or Julia.
- Are comfortable working in a Linux OS environment.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond the minimum requirements if you:
- Have a Master’s degree in an Engineering field, Math or Physics.
- Have demonstrated skills in data analysis of simulated large-scale dynamical systems such as autonomous or piloted aircraft, guided missiles, or related kinetic systems.
- Have demonstrated an ability to craft clear and concise visualizations of analyzed data and explain the important outcomes to a wider audience.
- Have experience with high-performance computing clusters (HPC) scripting or usage such as SLURM or Univa Grid Engine.
- Have exposure to software verification, validation and accreditation (VV&A) testing.
- Exposure to advanced system engineering methods and MBSE tools such as SysML, Cameo, Rhapsody, etc. is a plus.
- Hold an active security clearance with the ability to obtain a higher level clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage, creativity and bold new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.